Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a grand day in the wine country as the RoadBikeReview.com/Marin FOG BC team powered through 100 miles of pristine roads and a breathtaking backdrop to raise money for diabetes research. This was our second year in the tour and the team of 7 raised $7,000, a praiseworthy rider average. We’d like to extend a special thank to all of you who were so generous in sponsoring us.
To those of you on the boards who are finding this thread, the donation site is still open. If you care to donate, click on the team’s site, pick a rider and then click the sponsor button.
https://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=team&fr_id=3324&team_id=125729

Now on to the ride report:
It was a cool start in Yountville, high 50s with overcast skies and some ground fog. We rolled around 7:20 and headed north for Fieldstone.

The team, ScottB, yours truly (foggy), Rash, Johngfoster and Rushfan at the Yountville Vet’s Center. Two riders were unable to start: Curdman, the star of the 2005 ride, came down with the flu, and MarkE from the FOG BC had a schedule conflict. Next year lads...

Rolling north on the back roads, dodging potholes and dreading the traffic of hwy 29 just ahead.

Rushfan in the drops.

Johngfoster flashes a smile. He flew all the way from Montana to ride the tour

Rash blazes through the early morning countryside.

ScottB pulls the group through the back roads. After pulling his bike off the rack, he discovered it wouldn’t shift out of the large chainring. Most of us would find a mechanic and get a fix, ScottB decided to just attack on all the climbs to keep his tempo up! 104 miles in the big ring was quite a feat.

· Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

We made the first rest stop at Fieldstone in record time. John and Rushfan discuss the course while John tries to get the bugs out of his eyes.

Group shot – Rash, johnfoster, Rushfan and ScottB.

Same group with Fogdweller added.

This is our good friend Ignatz and his daughter, Ignatz Jr. He ran Fieldstone with medical theme this year, providing syringes of fake EPO (a banned blood booster) on the table. I drank one, it didn’t seem to help…

Ignatz provided us with a clothing drop for the second year in a row. It’s nice to be able to bundle up for the beginning of a ride and not have to carry clothes with you after it warms up. Thanks Ignatz, you’re the greatest!

John, Rushfan and ScottB

· Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Suns out, warmies are in Ignatz’s car and we continue our ride north to Healdsburg. ScottB glances back on one of his many turns at the front.

ScottB, johnfoster, Rash and Rushfan continue north. The 5th rider was someone who hopped into our line for about 5 miles.

ScottB was all smiles the whole day, at least up to mile 90.

johngfoster grabs a wheel.

Rash enjoying his day in the sun.

Rushfan tucks in as we roll through row after row of vines.

Heart rate at 159 and just under 22mph. This is where my dials sat for most of the day. Nice to see that my bars are straight as well.

We hit Fieldstone again on the return and I gobbled down a few more syringes of that EPO and a few bagels and bananas. It still didn’t seem to help. Rash and John enjoy some time in the sun before the burn starts again.

ScottB readies his ride for the final leg as the other team bikes take a breather in the foreground. They look as tired as I felt.

Being the official photographer means that I hardly ever get into any of the shots. This one was taken on Oakville Cross a few miles from the finish. We took a pass on the final rest stop The lure of ice cold beer at the finish was too strong of a pull over the ultra-sweet energy gu and sugar water of the rest stops.

· Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Enjoying a good meal at the finish. Johnfoster, Rash, ScottB, Mrs. Foggy, Foggy Jr. and Rushfan.

Another shot with the future Mrs. ScottB added.

I think this pretty much sums it up. A day in the big ring took its toll and ScottB takes a well earned recline.

That’s a wrap on Tour de Cure 2006. I’ll be posting a new thread next January looking for others who would like to ride with us. It’s an awesome day and among the most scenic centuries one can ride. Thanks for reading.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Scott:

It looks like all of you had a good time and did a little advertising for RBR, too. Thanks for the report and the pics.

Mark

· Registered
194 Posts
So I was running the "medical clinic" out at the lovely Fieldstone Winery.

It's amazing how many people will think you're actually a doctor when you wear a scrub top and a name tag that says "M.D." on it.

The RBR crew seemed to be having a good time out there...

No one seemed interested in our testing services though...

Preparing EPO and HGH is a job for a highly trained professional (or a really cute 8 year old).

My reward for helping out the RBR crew and a bunch of other riders? One tasty beverage hand delivered to the rest stop by the one and only Fogdweller. Thanks again Foggy!

· Registered
269 Posts
Great to see the RBR team out there

Great report Fogdweller. If anyone has the chance to do this ride it's well worth it. The course is an awesome trip through the Napa and Alexander Valley wine country. The Tour de Cure was my first century way back in '02. I did the ride Sunday with a good buddy (that I met on that first Tour de Cure) and as well as a couple of other buddies that I've ridden with for several years now. We rolled around the course taking our time at the rest stops. Picture perfect day - couldn't ask for better.

Judd, thanks for all the support at Fieldstone. It was good to see you and say hi. I was checking out your pics in the NorCal thread and realize that in the top pic, I'm on the far left (blue kit white helmet - next to the rider in the yellow). We didn't take any of our own pics but I found some in the official ride pics.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
I had wanted to join the group last year when I was living in Albany, Oregon. A bit of a drive but thought it would be fun. Since then, I moved even further north to Washington state so it was out of the question. Still, I enjoyed seeing the photos of the day. The weather was FAR better than the Ride Around Clark County that I did which was raining and windy most of the day.

· The view is the reward
417 Posts
Fogdweller said:
We rolled around the course taking our time at the rest stops. Picture perfect day - couldn't ask for better
We'd love to have you join us next year. You're right, the ride is a blast.
That's looks like a great ride on a perfect day as you say. In fact, it looks like you were having more fun (lots of smiles) then one should have on a 100 mile ride.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey Scott,

Nice photos, thanks for posting. Did the Prince beat you up much? I know those roads are a little rough now.

Hopefully will see you for the Marin ride in August. I'll be the guy sitting on your wheel!

see you,
Warren

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.