Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>My riding buddy Ron, who's about 25 years my senior and a relentless hammer on the bike, invited me to ride the San Gabriel River path from Cerritos to the Santa Fe Dam, then down to Long Beach for lunch, then back up to Cerritos.

I've done this a few times (pretty much once per year), though we usually head south via the Rio Hondo trail and then the L.A. River path. Oh, and we usually detour off the path to do a 3-mile climb up Turnbull Canyon. Oh, and when we do all that it's 100 miles dead-even. Yesterday's ride was 75.

Fyi, there's an organized version of this ride that's called the Sewer Century.

<hr size="1" width="600">

Starting up north on an overcast morning. Not a good day for picture-taking.

Lots of rancheros in the wetlands along the trail.

I get thirsty just looking at it.

I started glowing just after this point. And no, it wasn't the good kind of glow.

The Santa Fe Dam in the distance. Notice the little tiny cyclists on the top of it. That's us in 10 minutes.

Reverse angle, from atop the Santa Fe Dam.

Much needed rest stop.

Crossing the river.

Getting near Long Beach.

Getting nearer to Long Beach.

Once you get into Long Beach you start seeing a lot of stuff like this.

Water from the plant is draining out into the river. That can't be good.

After lunch, heading back up to the car. 8 miles of tailwind.

That's Ron, who'd been kicking my arse all day.

According to signs on the tanks, those suckers only contain water. Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Getting closer to the car.

I don't know what this is.

We'll cross that bridge on the right side, then ride along the right side of the San Gabriel River as it breaks left.

I made two mistakes as I was rushing out the door: forgot my hat and grabbed a sleeveless jersey. Sunburn on face and shoulders. Fail.
</td></tr></table>

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
DrRoebuck said:

Water from the plant is draining out into the river. That can't be good.
It's not bad, it's just for cooling, so the water's kind of warm. The local power company here has a pretty long outflow channel that has been repurposed as the US whitewater canoe and kayak team winter training. Fake rocks and waterfalls and everything. Since the water's warm, they can paddle through the winter without much worry.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
OverStuffed said:
It's not bad, it's just for cooling, so the water's kind of warm. The local power company here has a pretty long outflow channel that has been repurposed as the US whitewater canoe and kayak team winter training. Fake rocks and waterfalls and everything. Since the water's warm, they can paddle through the winter without much worry.
That sounds really cool. I wanna see it.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YuriB said:
Wasn't it somehwere along this route that Tinker was relieved of his bike a couple of years ago?
Don't know but it's certainly possible. The stretch down the L.A. River path can get a little sketchy.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Well that might be ugly, but it sure beats the city traffic. I'll make sure and try that route, next time I'm in town. Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What gloves are those?

·
Registered
171 Posts
zpl said:
Sounds like a ride for someone who's really into industrial music. Next time bring your iPod and listen to some Front Line Assembly and Skinny Puppy to highten the mood. :)
Yeah, that'd fit. Night time I'd use the Vangelis original Blade Runner soundtrack. Oh man if it was raining too..

With or without the soundtrack from an iPod I have to confess I'd be liking that ride. First two pics are a bit too plain but after that it gets interesting. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.