Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!
What a trip! Wednesday, Apr. 12th, we left W.Yellowstone enroute to the N. Entrance at Gardiner, MT. (Many thanks to the gals at FreeHeel and Wheel for the changing room, great coffee and a last minute tire change). No more than 5 miles into the park I saw my first bison. Soon, there were so many bison around us that we had to stop taking pictures or run out of film before the trip ended. For the next 53 miles we saw unbelievable scenery, great roadways and VERY little traffic. Our overnight in Gardiner was friendly and affordable due to the off-season. Thursday's plans were simple-ride back to West Yellowstone (were the car was parked) and head home to Boise. Oh, that Mother Nature can be such a cruel mistress. The only weather we DIDN'T experience was calm. The rain started just as we began to climb out of Mammouth. The sleet started at the Rock Gardens, and the snow was really piling up as we crossed the meadow by the lake. Soon we were wet, cold and hungry. In our determination to "keep pressing on" we stopped eating. Now we were wet, cold and out of gas. Walking out bikes through the new fallen snow was probably the best thing that could have happened; it gave us time to warm our toes and EAT. The worst of the weather soon ended, but it continued to rain and blow almost the entire trip back. The West Entrance looked like a mirage when it came into view. We made it!
LESSONS LEARNED: 1) We thought we were prepared with our multiple layers of high tech fabrics, wool base layers and plenty of calories. However, we didn't BEGIN to imagine the intensity of the storm we rode through. 2) Calories, calories, calories-you have to keep eating...period. 3) We knew the weather was going to be "iffy"-next year (yes, we're planning on next year), we simply won't go in "iffy" weather. We can laugh about it now, but in the middle of that spring blizzard, we were miserable.
SUMMARY: An unforgettable adventure I am delighted to have experienced. You simply MUST go! Thanks to all on the forum who offered tips/advice. jeff

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
It sounds like one of those "character building" rides. I would love to do a trip out there.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Glad it worked out ok in the end. With the roads being closed you're still really "out there" even though you're on pavement.

My wife and I went for ride in the Park on the 8th and were surprised to see how spooked some of the bison were when they saw people on bikes. Scary.

We rode from Roosevelt Junction to Pebble Cr Campground, near Cook City. Since the weather was iffy when we started, we wanted the option to hitch hike back to the car if needed.

The Park is a great place to ride in non-tourist season.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Forewarned

Well, it's great that you had an "unforgettable adventure" though you should realize how close you were to a LOT more snow and a possibly dangerous situation. IIRC, the probability of snow was pointed out when you asked about this before. The great thing about April is indeed the lack of tourists, but for me the weather risk is just way to great. Glad you survived and enjoyed it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts