Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on MBR, but I thought I'd share it with the roadies too.

I was out riding (in Taiwan) and a guy stops to tell me how much he likes my bike. He then offers up that he owns a bicycle manufacturer that makes mainly "high end" mountain bikes made from carbon fiber and titanium and other exotics. (my ears perk up).

He gives me his card and a little poster with different models etc...

There in HUGE LOOK/Shimano-styled lettering is the name for his baddass mountain bikes:

DORCUS

I had to do all I could to not laugh at him in the face.

I told him to change the name if he tries to sell in the US. Then again maybe he subcontracts for someone else.
FYI-32000 NT Dollars is about $1000 USD

To learn more information about his Dorcus you can go here:
http://shop.dorcusbikes.com/info/guide.asp

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Did you ask him how he came up with the name? It would be horrible if that was his nickname when he was at school for a semester in America and told it was something good- a bit like those people who get Asian language tattoos and are never sure if the symbols are what the artist said, or were just copied it from the take-out place's menu. "One means peace; one means love; one means harmony."
"No, they translate to beef, chicken, and pork."

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL!

One time I was stupid enough to translate a girl's arm tattoo. It's in her F-ing arm for life and you don't tell her she has the character for "Animal Husbandry". Stooopid! She thought it said "little mystery inside". Stoopid!

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
marketting approach. They could just make the name part of the pitch. Names for models like pointdexter, bookworm, or Pi. Have a nerd cartoon character for a headbadge mascot.

·
Done
4,513 Posts
Interesting Name...

It's a woman's name that appears in the Bible. It also appears frequently in bad local dinner theater - "Dorcas" is one of the "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." The selection of the name was probably totally random.....

From the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia:

dor'-kas (Dorkas, the Greek equivalent of Aramaic tabitha, "a gazelle"): The name was borne by a Christian woman of Joppa. She is called a disciple (mathetria: Acts 9:36, the only place in the New Testament where the feminine form is used). She seems to have had some means and also to have been a leader in the Christian community. Dorcas was beloved for the manner in which she used her position and means, for she "was full of good works, and almsdeeds which she did." Among her charities was the clothing of the poor with garments she herself made (Acts 9:39), and by following her example, numerous "Dorcas societies" in the Christian church perpetuate her memory. There is a local memorial in the "Tabitha School" in Jaffa devoted to the care and education of poor girls.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
It's a woman's name that appears in the Bible. It also appears frequently in bad local dinner theater - "Dorcas" is one of the "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." The selection of the name was probably totally random.....

From the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia:

dor'-kas (Dorkas, the Greek equivalent of Aramaic tabitha, "a gazelle"): The name was borne by a Christian woman of Joppa. She is called a disciple (mathetria: Acts 9:36, the only place in the New Testament where the feminine form is used). She seems to have had some means and also to have been a leader in the Christian community. Dorcas was beloved for the manner in which she used her position and means, for she "was full of good works, and almsdeeds which she did." Among her charities was the clothing of the poor with garments she herself made (Acts 9:39), and by following her example, numerous "Dorcas societies" in the Christian church perpetuate her memory. There is a local memorial in the "Tabitha School" in Jaffa devoted to the care and education of poor girls.
Gomer and Jethro are Biblical names as well. That doesn't make them cool :) Also, it's not 'Dorcas' written on the frames of those bikes, it's 'Dorcus,' which is even funnier.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
And if you can't afford the whole bike

you can add a little dorky bling to your bike with a saddle:

or a nice carbon fibre seatpost

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not just the bike names. I sent my friend a sweat shirt that says 'DORK" on the front in FBI lettering. The best is the guy I saw wearing a letterman's jacket...it was purple and black. On the back in huge letters it said:

Sissyboy

Best in the NFL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts