Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ride (Report) to Obama, Berlin.

Miss Majura wanted to see why there's all this hype about Obama. Both of us can't vote- being non-US citizens - so all political viewpoints aside, the main reason we went was out of interest, since whoever becomes US president will influence the world for 4-8 years in a pretty significant way. Also, both of us have never really attended a large political speech, since the weather was nice we thought why not?

US Germans were handing flyers out in the days leading up.

I diddn't take any photos on the way there, Unter den Linden is busy enough during peak-hour but with the speech many more people were riding bikes causing a bit of chaos. But we got there eventually and locked up our bikes, deciding to walk from Brandenburger Tor to Siegessäule since there were so many people already there.

BSNYC readers: 3-speed Coaster "hipsterised"

McCain Supporter DIY style... out of campaign money already? *kidding*

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ride to Obama Pt.2

People were getting vantage points where ever they could.

Around 200,000 on Straße 17. Juli. Plus another McCain supporter, this time with official placard.

...and this was about as close as I got to seeing Obama. Luckily I'm tall, Miss majura just had a view of other people's heads.

Bikes closer to the Victory Column diddn't fare to well. Rule 943: Crowds and bikes don't mix.

Spotted this. It was actually faster to walk your bike than ride it post speech.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ride to Obama Pt.3

Holocaust Memorial.

We then rode towards home to pick up some dinner. The line of cobble stones on the left shows where the wall once stood.

All rides should end with food...
Dolores (near Alexanderplatz) does some reasonably priced good Ameri-Mexican food that's popular with the English speaking crowd here. I forgot to take photos of my burrito- was just to darn hungry :)

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
So, was anyone at least handing out free beer? Pretty cool thing to witness and even funner being able to at least ride part way.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
il sogno said:
Cool report. I love the single speeds/fixie pics.

The Obama campaign has spoke cards.

Really? Cool. Where'd you get those?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
il sogno said:
DrRoebuck gave that one to me.

If you google "obama spoke cards" you'll find the website that sells them. I think they're $1 each.
Thanks. The site is obamaspoke.com

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rodar y rodar: That pic's just to that everyone can see that the thread has pictures (they're linked, not uploaded to here), but it comes from a city in NW Germany called Münster. Where there are bike lanes, there are normally separate lights to allow riders to start before cars.

weltyed & Ridgetop: In the true spirit of America, beer was for sale :p. The first half of the speech was a bit boring: aimed for those that have no idea about Berlin and what happened post WWII. The second half was actually quite resounding and very presidential sounding. Even though I know he wont achieve more than 10% of what he sets out to do (can you tell I'm a bit cynical?), I definitely enjoyed the atmosphere. Which beats watching it on TV whilst being dubbed into German... only so that I can translate it back into English in my head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.