Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a town report than an actual ride report as I only took pictures of some of the historic houses in Bath. Bath NC is a very small town about 2 1/2 hours east of Raleigh NC not too far from the outer banks. My mother’s family has lived in this area for the past 150-200 years and I spent many summers here with my grandparents.

Back in the 80's my grandfather, who was a general contractor, was hired to restore three of the historic houses in Bath, the Van Der Veer House, the Palmer Marsh House and the Bonner House. This was the main reason I made the ride, during those summers I would be my grandfather's "helper" while on the job sites and I remember spending time in Bath while working on the Palmer Marsh House.

As for the riding, absolutely amazing. I have not ridden anywhere with friendlier drivers. The roads are all 2 lane with speed limits of 55 mph, cars & trucks coming from behind slow down and give you a wide berth while vehicles in the opposite direction give you a friendly wave. I think they are used to the slow moving tractors and are in no real hurry to get where they are going.

Pic 1, ride start view from our cottage
Pic 2, maybe do some fishing?
Pic 3, our cottage
Pic 4, neighbors shrimp boat
Pic 5, entering Bath NC

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bath NC cont...

Pic 1, Van Der Veer house
Pic 2, Plamer Marsh house, cool windows in chimney
Pic 3, Bonner House
Pic 4, St. Thomas church
Pic 5, mmmmmmmmmmm Blue Crabs after ride...

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We could all use some of that.

JWRB said:
The roads are all 2 lane with speed limits of 55 mph, cars & trucks coming from behind slow down and give you a wide berth while vehicles in the opposite direction give you a friendly wave.
Love the water shots, thanks for posting.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
We rode through Bath on Cycle North Carolina a couple of years ago, but there was heavy fog and we couldn't see hardly a thing. The roads were nice, though, as well as the ferry ride across Pamlico Sound.

Lots of cyclists seem to post messages about riding on the Outer Banks, but the inner coast of NC is really where they ought to be riding. The OB sucks for riding, with only one main road that has heavy traffic. The "Inner Banks" has hundreds of miles of beautiful country roads, many with little traffic and very nice views.

My wife and I stayed at a B&B in Bath many years ago for a weekend and had a very nice visit. You're lucky to have a place there to stay. I would much rather go there than the OBs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.