Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may be better suited for another thread but I thought I would start here.

I am headed to the Bay Area for a wedding over the 4th. I will be bringing my bike. Normally I just ride with my SRM computer but I do have a Garmin Edge 800 (not the newest model).

I was thinking of downloading some rides for ridewithgps.com and uploading them to my Garmin.

So . . .
Has anyone done this and how? I've looked on the website but couldn't really figure out their directions (like most lawyers, tech savvy I am not).

If you've done it and it works, how does it come up on the Garmin. Is it saved as a "course" and you can just pull it up and it will show you on the map where to go?

I will try a test run with local rides from ridewithgps to try and figure it all out.

Thanks so much

·
but thinking about it
1,434 Posts
Sorry I can't be more helpful (then again, I'm a lawyer, and you know we're not helpful or tech savvy), but I've done it with a 500 from two other sites, and it was a bit of figuring out how to get the rides on there, but then, yes, it comes up as a course. Even with the 500 (which basically just draws a line that tells you where to turn), I found it to be a great way to get in rides in strange areas. Where are you going to be based in the bay area?

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
If the ride was created on RWGPS, and you export the .tcx file, you can get turn by turn directions and a map.
If the ride was uploaded to RWGPS from someone else, and/or you export the .gpx file, you only get the map.

After you download the .tcx file, plug your garmin into your computer. It will pop up as a flash drive.
Explore that drive and open the NewFiles folder. Put your .tcx file here.

Unplug your garmin. Turn it on.
Press and hold MENU
Select Training > Courses
Select your course > Do Course.

Start your ride. Press the page button to cycle through your pages till you find the cue sheet or map page.

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
If the ride was created on RWGPS, and you export the .tcx file, you can get turn by turn directions and a map.
If the ride was uploaded to RWGPS from someone else, and/or you export the .gpx file, you only get the map.

After you download the .tcx file, plug your garmin into your computer. It will pop up as a flash drive.
Explore that drive and open the NewFiles folder. Put your .tcx file here.

Unplug your garmin. Turn it on.
Press and hold MENU
Select Training > Courses
Select your course > Do Course.

Start your ride. Press the page button to cycle through your pages till you find the cue sheet or map page.
Spot-on tlg.
Question, where on the RWGPS page do you transfer a route from somewhere else?

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.