Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I planned on riding my bike to work on May 15.

My normal routine is to ride to the office on Monday if I do not do a weekend bike ride the previous weekend. Tuesday and Thursday I ride to the BART station (local subway system), lock the bike up there, take a train downtown then walk from the station to the office. Wednesdays, I drive to the BART station because my wife works long hours and I have to get home ASAP to cook dinner for the kids. Fridays, I ride all the way to the office. Riding in is 11 miles. Riding home is 16 miles if I take the scenic route.

As you can see, riding to the office on Thursday changes my schedule around. Add to this that yesterday, May 16, was my son's birthday so I had to get home ASAP so that I could take the family out to dinner. Riding to work on Thursday instead of to the BART station means that I would be putting down some mileage. Then the folks in the office want to do a lunchtime ride to The Golden Gate Bridge and back. No problem. Did I mention that May 15 was the hottest day so far this year? Broke temperature records all over the San Francisco Bay Area, including San Francisco, which hit 97 degrees.

Here are a few pictures of the ride in as well as the ride home. Oh, yeah, 42 miles for the day.

Pictures start with my ride in to the office.
1) Picture of the BART station as I ride by.
2) Alemany Blvd.
3) Mission Street.
4) Cesar Chavez Blvd, making a left on to Valencia.
5) Picture of the downtown SF skyline.

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Five pictures at a time, I guess.

1) Embarcadero Street, at the edge of the water. Yerba Buena Island in the background.
2) KRON4 doing a report on Bike To Work Day at the Energizer Station at Justin Herman Plaza in SF, across the street from The Ferry Building.
3) The Energizer Station itself.
4) The view of San Francisco from just outside my office.
5) The view of San Francisco from the back door of my office.

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next five:

1) Another view from the back side of the pier that I work at showing Coit Tower in the background.
2) A shot of Yerba Buena Island with The Bay Bridge leading up to it. You can see in the foreground the handlebar grip of a cruiser bike that one of my coworkers was riding during our lunchtime ride.
3) Pier 7, the one that is used in movies, pictures, you name it. I didn't time the shot right, as you can see.
4) My coworkers that I rode with. In the background is a marina and behind that is Marin County.
5) Looking back at San Francisco after crossing The Golden Gate Bridge.

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Riding in The Presidio, with The Golden Gate Bridge and Marin County in the background. Also, the backside of another one of my coworkers.
2) Pier 39 (I'm on my way home by this point)
3) Alcatraz
4) Geary Blvd approaching The Cliff House and Land's End. The cyclist is someone I met out on the road about a mile before this photo. I rode with him for about 5 miles but he was a stronger rider than I was so I had to stop to replenish my water and he continued on. Yes, that's the blue Pacific Ocean in the background.
5) There were a lot of people at the beach that day escaping the heat!

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) On The Great Highway drafting my new buddy. Yes, this road is about five miles long, straight as an arrow, and has no exits until you reach the end.
2) Some sand dunes near The San Francisco Zoo (behind me as I take the picture).
3) More sand dunes.
4) The end of The Great Highway. To the right is The San Francisco Zoo. Way in the distance is Marin County.
5) An artsy photo of a stand of trees at the edge of a cliff overlooking The Pacific Ocean.

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) Another shot of The Pacific Ocean.
2) One more hill to go before arriving at home!
3) Yes, I rode past my normal turn-off and came back around (less steep climbing this way). This is facing north, one block from home.
4) I really need to clean my chain and chainrings, don't I?

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FatTireFred said:
dang, I would love that commute... 97 in SF?! wow, musta been pretty uncomfortable in those office buildings
Don't forget, almost all office buildings in SF have AC. The building I work in sits right on the water and I don't believe that they installed AC as they have a fancy system that cools the building by drawing fresh water through heat exchangers in the bay water through pipes in the floors. The air got uncomfortably warm, though, and everyone has fans at their desks. Windows were open, too, as the air over the water was probably hovering around 70 degrees but as soon as you stepped out on the street on The Embarcadero it was easily in the 80's or higher.

Here's a picture of the bike as I headed out the door. Somehow I didn't think to include it in the original post.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Squidward said:
Don't forget, almost all office buildings in SF have AC.

they do? since when? I remember when heatwaves used to come and the tv news would talk about how miserable it was is SF because the office buildings didn't have AC

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as I have seen all of the newer buildings are hermetically sealed so they have to have AC. The older buildings probably not. The smaller ones more than likely don't have them but a lot of buildings are retrofitting AC as any place that has a server room almost has to have AC for that and since you are installing AC for a server room adding capacity for the rest of the building isn't that much more work , though a proper AC system for server rooms are dedicated systems.

I used to work as a photocopier repair guy and I have entered a lot of buildings in downtown SF and a lot of them have AC. Certainly more have them than not and this was over 15 years ago.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I like the bike. Once a year or so we ride down in the same area while visiting the Bay Area. It's not often that you can get such great pictures with an offshore breeze like that. I would have loved being down there. I envy your office, the location must real suck for you :).

2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, the location of the office really sucks. I mean, watching boats, ships, and ferries float by instead of cars, trucks, and busses driving by. What were they thinking? :D

This is a dream company for me to work for. About 20-30% of the employees in SF are cyclists of some sort. I've heard that they some times will do group rides and 20 people would show up from the woodwork. I can't wait for one of those rides!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.