Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been calling 'rider up!" when I approach someone from behind on a MUT. I have found this much more effective than 'on your left'. Saying 'on your left' seems to confuse too many people. 'Rider up' lets them know I'm there, then they decide how to move, and I can react accordingly. So far I've never seen that moment of hesitation we all know. Most of the time I pass on the left anyway. Give it a try & see if it works for you.....

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
interesting. worth a shot. that or more cowbell.

the worst is when you say "on your left" and the person moves to their left.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Not a good idea. Rider up mean in front not in back. If you happen to yell it to an experienced rider he/she would look in front then wonder what to fck you were yelling that for if no one was there.
Perhaps it's different story in other areas but that's the deal here.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I just say 'Bike Passing' and usually they move over to the right.
Works for me.

john

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I usually sprint to max speed, wait till I'm right behind the walker/jogger, and yell 'get outta ny waaaaaaayyyyy!!!!" as I go by.

I feel that this teaches them that the MUT is designed for my benefit in pursuit of new personal best times, and allows them to recognize my generosity in allowing them to use it also.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I say something like, "Excuse me, can I sneak by on your left here."

At least around here, the convention on group rides is for "up" to indicate a condition approaching from the front ("car up"), and "back" to indicate something coming from behind ("dump truck back"). Your call would be confusing to me.

If I rode on MUT's much I think I'd get one of those old-fashioned bike bells. It's funny how people still associate that sound with bicycles, even though it's been decades since most bikes had them.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I don't think it matters a whole lot what you say. Just say it loud, and you'll make your point.

I usually say "on your left," except when I come up on a group of people who have expanded to fill the entire trail. Then I'll shout "BEHIND!" or "COMING THROUGH!" And when there is some kid screwing around on his bike, coming straight at me and not paying attention, a good "HEY!!!" usually does the trick. Sometimes, for this situation, you need to add "F%#^$!"

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
Saturday, on the MUT, I came up on an older lady walking. I did the "on the left" from a good distance back and she spun around looking at me like a deer in the headlights. Then she, indeed, darted to the left. I apologized for startling her as I rode past.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
"Passing!" is very effective. I've had a few collisions with folks moving left after I called out "on your left." When asked, it seems that they key in on the "left" part of that and go that way. No issues at all when just calling out "passing".

·
Registered
448 Posts
I slow down to make sure I won’t hit them if they jump, “On your left, please”, apologize if I startled them, otherwise, a smile and “Good Morning!”. Kind of like the way I want them to treat me when they get back in their cars.

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,392 Posts
I yell, "bike up", and then when I get closer I say "passing on your left", then "thank you".

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think using the word "Passing" is the key- people are used to being passed on their left and act accordingly.

If time and ambient noise permit, I'll try to make it conversational: "Morning, I'll be passing on your left."

For the totally clueless, I might yell "LOOK OUT FOR THE TRUCK!!!" :eek:

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I say

"Coming up," or, just "HUP!"

If they can hear me throught he headphones, it seems to work okay.

Agree that "rider left" just confuses people.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
in my circle of riding partners, the phrase 'rider up' means there's someone APPROACHING from the opposite direction...not overtaking from behind.

when passing, we've pretty much concluded that saying 'on your left' is an invitation to a inappropriate change of direction by the person on the right...so, we just ride on by and give a head nod or a one-finger wave (no, not that finger).

seems to make the passing process more uneventful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
beleive it or not but on MUT if there`s no room to passat a walking pace.. I stop and let the walkers.. hikers.. whomever go by first.. then resume riding... UNLESS I`m climbing on of the few steep grades in the loops.. then.. well.. going uphill gets right of way ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've found "PASSING, left" works well. Puts the emphasis on what's happening and keeps people from moving left (though I always call from far enough back that they won't swing into me if they do).

"On your LEFT" (as it generally gets called out with left being the emphasis) tends to cause the inexperienced and/or not paying attention to startle and immediately do as they were told....go left.... But "Rider up" is used to signal to those behind you that you are about to pass another rider (either going the same direction as you or head to head). An experienced rider might hear that and think "gee there must be a group behind me" and slide over, but many will be confused.

·
Registered
151 Posts
"ON YOUR LEFT" seems to work for me as long as they're not blasting headphones. The percentage of people who veer left in response is probably around 5%. Most of them are the startled ones and I figure they'd most likely wind up veering left regardless of what I said.

Anyone seen an electronic horn that plays La Cucaracha that is small enough to fit on the stem?

0 Posts
I've given up on "On your left!" People don't get it, or they move to the left.

Lately, I've been using "Coming by," and, per the OP's modus, take it from there. If they dodge left, I cut right, and vice versa.

Nothing seems to work well, even a bell.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts