Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of Forte CR150ti pedals for a great price($42). But I just noticed than the rider weight limit is 175lbs & I'm 210lbs. How crucial is the limit? Should I just take them back or is it not a big deal? Do all pedals have rider weight limits or just those that have a titanium spindle?

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
is it worth the risk?

Pedo said:
I got a pair of Forte CR150ti pedals for a great price($42). But I just noticed than the rider weight limit is 175lbs & I'm 210lbs. How crucial is the limit? Should I just take them back or is it not a big deal? Do all pedals have rider weight limits or just those that have a titanium spindle?
Think about what's going to happen if the axle snaps off. It's likely your groin is going to make a very unpleasant impact with the seat or top tube. Then, there's the whole crashing part. Is saving an ounce worth that?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Pedo said:
There have been several posts here about injuries sustained when Ti spindles break. If anything, you should be conservative here, and assume that weight limit is generous. It is simply not worth the risk of shearing a pedal in an out-of-the-saddle effort and going down in a heap of hurt.

I don't see that pedal on Performance's web site right now, but I'm guessing their about 275grams for the set and around $75. Perormance has a good return policy; return the Ti's and order a set of their Carbon's with cromolly spindles for $25 more. They weight 260grams for the set.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, thanks. Well know I guess I'll start lookin for pedals again. I didnt want to spend the money on the Ultegra pedals. But since I have the entire Ultegra drivetrain might as well get the pedals too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drewmcg said:
There have been several posts here about injuries sustained when Ti spindles break. If anything, you should be conservative here, and assume that weight limit is generous. It is simply not worth the risk of shearing a pedal in an out-of-the-saddle effort and going down in a heap of hurt.

I don't see that pedal on Performance's web site right now, but I'm guessing their about 275grams for the set and around $75. Perormance has a good return policy; return the Ti's and order a set of their Carbon's with cromolly spindles for $25 more. They weight 260grams for the set.

Thats a good idea. I just hope I can walk out of Performance w/o buying anything else but pedals. Knowing me I'll buy like 5 things I didn't plan on, lol.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Pedo said:
So heres a really simple rule of thumb: If you have to ask if a piece of gear is too light for you, it is.

Why do you want to risk putting yourself in the Emergency Room for 50 grams?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Only Look, Campagnolo, and Time don't have a weight limit on their titanium spindle pedals. As a rule of thumb, if you weigh way over 200 pounds and are a gear masher, do not buy titanium pedals.

I think the weight limit on Performance ti pedals is just under 190 pounds.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Pedaling style

Pedo said:
If you never stand up and never sprint hard, then the weight restrictions are not an issue. Everybody I know stands up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its not a good idea, its not so much the spindle shearing off its the 9 mm nut inside the pedal body that holds the bearing . when that puppy breaks( the end of the spindle is only about 5mm with threads cut into it) your foot goes down but it still has a metal pedal stuck to the bottom and at that speed you may as well be on ice. Can you say groin injury, I know I can. thank god I was just getting going. yes I am 240 on pedals that stated 200 as a max weight and I thought the same thing , I will be restraighned I wont mash. ooops!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.