Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in the Brentwood/Discovery Bay area near the Sacramento Delta. Are there any good rides in the area? I'm familiar with Vasco Rd. (which I wouldn't want to bike due to cars), but not really aware of other routes. Would it make more sense to drive over to Livermore and do Mines Road?

-Thanks, Todd

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Take Marsh Creek Road over to Morgan Territory. Ride around the base of Mt. Diablo, and when you get to South Gate, go up to the top. Descend via North Gate, take Ygnacio Valley Road into Clayton, and pick up Marsh Creek again. That's a big ride, but it's a good one. Morgan Territory is a crappy road, but it's one of the best places to ride in the bay area.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, big ride...mapped it out on Klimb and it's probably 80~90 miles from what I can tell. I've never climbed Mt. Diablo...what are the differences between climbing the north or south sides of the mountain?

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I haven't done it in a while, because it's a 50 mile drive for me, but I recall them being fairly close in length and steepness. So the main difference to me is the view. The north side is more switchbacked, has a little more shade, and is probably a little easier. Both sides meet at a junction about halfway up, then there is one road that goes another few miles to the top.

I once climbed to the top from the south, descended to the north, then turned around and climbed back to the top, then descended the south. That's a pretty good ride. About 56 miles and 7500 feet of climbing!

· Registered
27 Posts
I usually just ride from my house in Antioch around Brentwood and then back through Antioch when I want to get in a quick 20 miler'. My route brings me up Fairview from Lone Tree and down Balfour with a loop around Liberty making my way back towards Lone Tree. Mt. Diablo is nice. I was doing it on Thursdays for a few months while on a break from class (CSUEB Concord Campus) up the north side. Let us know what rides you end up doing. If you ride around the streets of Brentwood you'll likely see me nearly every night between 5-8.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
I live in oakley, ride through brentwood, then out to the Los Vaqueros Dam, they let you jump the gate at the end for a little steep section up to the actual dam.

If you are around on Sunday morning, there is a good group ride leaving from the panama joes coffee shop on Balfaur (albertsons shopping center) at 8:00 am, leave as a group, faster people will take off and ride together, mediums are no drop. wander out through the farmlands but always end up hitting the damn.

I ride the mornings now during summer (teacher, no class!) but during the swchool year, every night, 4 to whenever I am out. I take the bike path from Oakley to Brentwood the decide where from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.