Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does that even mean?!? I'm getting sick of hearing that over and over. Can't people just describe how the bike actually rides?

sorry, rough day.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
how about the rbr classics "stiff, yet compliant" and "performs flawlessly"

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
My favorite rides are short wheelbase steel bikes....

The steel is somewhat forgiving but the short wheelbase means a quicker handling, more responsive bike......

I hate long wheelbase bikes...While the ride is like sitting in a Lazy Boy, they climb like @#$% and are slow handling........

It's a trade-off.....

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
The question should be, "whom do you ride in your dreams" and if you can find me a bike that feels that good, sold.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, that was refreshing.

Dave Hickey said:

The steel is somewhat forgiving but the short wheelbase means a quicker handling, more responsive bike......

I hate long wheelbase bikes...While the ride is like sitting in a Lazy Boy, they climb like @#$% and are slow handling........

It's a trade-off.....

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
MONsterD said:
What does that even mean?!? I'm getting sick of hearing that over and over. Can't people just describe how the bike actually rides?

sorry, rough day.
I think it means they can't really feel a difference, but they're still dreaming about the difference they should be feeling in order to justify the expense.
All ceramic bearings ride like a dream. Just like carbon seat posts.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Dave Hickey said:

I hate long wheelbase bikes...While the ride is like sitting in a Lazy Boy, they climb like a sprinter
It's a trade-off.....

wait...

what?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Umm, I think when people say, "it rides like a dream" they actually mean, "I don't know how it rides really, but it's a new bike and it's really shiny".

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is an easy one. It means they finally rode a bike where the tires were pumped up to 100psi instead of 130psi. After they bought the bike, they'll completely ruin the ride and perfromance by going back to 130psi. That initial impression sticks with them, though, and they still believe the bike continues to ride like a dream.

Test ride 5 bikes that fit with the same tire pressure. You won't find much of a difference between them. Hence, the need to make up nonsense terms.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Just like carbon seat posts.
well...mine does! (since I changed it from an alum one) there was a noticable difference with muted road buzz coming up through the bike to my a$$ :)

and no bike should ever ride like a dream, unless you happen to have your fantasy woman BO the cross bar...then it might be a dream ride :D

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
rook said:
Umm, I think when people say, "it rides like a dream" they actually mean, "I don't know how it rides really, but it's a new bike and it's really shiny".
thats more like it :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
MONsterD said:

sorry, rough day.

Wow, chill out.

Describing a dream ride is sort of like describing an orgasm. Care to put that into words?

If you really need for someone to attempt to describe either of those concepts to you, I suggest 2 things:
1. Words will not adequately describe the experience, and
2. You will not know that #1 is true since you have not experienced it yourself.

If you are sick of hearing impassioned discussions about bicycles/rides I suggest you find a different forum...one that specializes in miserable people that hate bicycles....there are lots of them!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used this term when I went from an aluminum bike to a steel Colnago. Stiff, but compliant, eats up rough roads, not too harsh, not too stiff. Has a "magical' feel to it. Nothing rides like steel, although I spend the majority of my time on my OCLV bike-it's newer and I can't afford to maintain two bikes at the same time..I think the OCLV bike does everything well, but steel just has that feel to it..However wheels play a big roll in the ride...

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I used this term when I went from an aluminum bike to a steel Colnago. Stiff, but compliant, eats up rough roads, not too harsh, not too stiff. Has a "magical' feel to it. Nothing rides like steel, although I spend the majority of my time on my OCLV bike-it's newer and I can't afford to maintain two bikes at the same time..I think the OCLV bike does everything well, but steel just has that feel to it..However wheels play a big roll in the ride...
Oh crap, can't you just say that it rides like a dream? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unit said:
Wow, chill out.

Describing a dream ride is sort of like describing an orgasm. Care to put that into words?

If you really need for someone to attempt to describe either of those concepts to you, I suggest 2 things:
1. Words will not adequately describe the experience, and
2. You will not know that #1 is true since you have not experienced it yourself.

If you are sick of hearing impassioned discussions about bicycles/rides I suggest you find a different forum...one that specializes in miserable people that hate bicycles....there are lots of them!
whoa, looks like somebody had a rougher day than i did.

yeah, i can really feel the passion in "rides like a dream." and is that how you describe your "dream" ride? with cliches?

how easy for you jump to conclusions. my enjoyment is not dependent on the bike alone. It is the whole experience. it is the warm sun on my face, the wind on my back, and the company i keep when i go riding. i may not have the best bike out there but the enjoyment i derive when i'm on my bike will trump whatever it is you're referring to as a "dream."

apparently a lot of people ARE able to describe their experiences. don't make excuses just because you're unable to do the same.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.