Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rides like the STP are out there in western WA?

looking for something to advise my parents to take a look at.
The STP is a bit much so hoping for something a bit smaller...

any suggestions?

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
fleck said:
What rides like the STP are out there in western WA?

looking for something to advise my parents to take a look at.
The STP is a bit much so hoping for something a bit smaller...

any suggestions?

Lots of centuries this time of year. I did the Tacoma Wheelmens Peninsula Century last Sunday.

The www.westsoundcycling.com events calendar is a good source of information. It lists all the rides in western Washington, not just the club sponsored events.

I am doing the STP this year. It is really not that bad of a ride. There are a few hills in the first 50 miles, but after that it is rolling to flat for the remainder. I think the century I rode on Sunday is tougher than the one day STP.

· Registered
783 Posts
Like I have said before STP to me is 100% more dangerous than any crit or road race I ever did in my racing days. STP you have 8500 people of which many many have never ridden in a group situation or have no clue whatsoever on paceline or group edict.

Just my 2 cents worth

Ray Still

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
abiciriderback said:
Like I have said before STP to me is 100% more dangerous than any crit or road race I ever did in my racing days. STP you have 8500 people of which many many have never ridden in a group situation or have no clue whatsoever on paceline or group edict.

Just my 2 cents worth

Ray Still
I do the one day version. With the newer format, I will leave before the crack of dawn with the other one day riders. One day riders tend to be experienced riders and tandems. In the past, doing the one day version meant that you left on the second day and caught the slowest of the two day riders between Longview and Portland. That is where I saw most of the problems. You are right, it is probably as sketchy as a crit at times, but IME you eventually settle into a group of like riders.

· Registered
184 Posts
my stp expierence

abiciriderback said:

Just my 2 cents worth

Ray Still
I have ridden STP twice in one day. My experience...the first 10 or so miles are pretty crazy...especially going through Montlake down to Lake Washington Blvd. Once you clear that, there is plenty of room for people. And once you get past Centralia/Chehalis, it is great. Like Bigbill said, one day riders are usually a bit more experienced, so it is easier to get into pacelines with people you don't know, etc.

· MING
419 Posts
i dont know your time frame, but the flying wheels summer century, also by cascade bike club, is next weekend. the ride starts in redmond, and rides out and about the snoqualmie river valley, snohomish and monroe. cascade advises using the 100 mile ride to gauge your fitness for the 200 mile stp. lots of typical seattle climbs, all round about a mile with 500 +/- feet of elevation gain, steep and short.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
kreger said:
i dont know your time frame, but the flying wheels summer century, also by cascade bike club, is next weekend. the ride starts in redmond, and rides out and about the snoqualmie river valley, snohomish and monroe. cascade advises using the 100 mile ride to gauge your fitness for the 200 mile stp. lots of typical seattle climbs, all round about a mile with 500 +/- feet of elevation gain, steep and short.
I am planning on riding it with some guys from work. I did the Tacoma Wheelmen century last weekend and it had more than twice the climbing of the flying wheels century. It didn't kill me so I must be ready for the STP.

· Registered
82 Posts
Tour de Pierce

The Tour de Pierce is a nice organized ride down in Puyallup at the Fairgrounds on June 22. They have three different routes of 15, 34, and 50 I believe and it is a well organized event that usually gets a good turnout. Tell them to give it a shot. :thumbsup:

· Registered
192 Posts
abiciriderback said:

Just my 2 cents worth

Ray Still
I totally agree. A fun ride but you really have to ride defensibly early on and get out front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.