Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are taking some much needed downtime from the kids in August. We're looking at Ventana Inn down the coast. My wife likes to trail run and I ride cyclocross and road.

Does anyone know if there are rides (either cross or road) that could conceivably start at or near the Ventana Inn? The concierge didn't seem to be a rider...

· Banned
86 Posts
I have ridden around that area a bunch. Bring your MTN or cross bike as there is really only one paved road there.

You can ride a loop on the old coast road that is nice, about 3-4 hours. You just ride north on one, take the old coast rd, then loop back on Highway 1. Old Cost road is all fire trials has a fair amount of climbing so be prepared. the downhill is great and if you go in the morning you will have the wind at your back as you come back on Highway 1

Here is a site that I found on the net that is a pretty good description..it is not as hard as this person says though

http://www.gatetrails.com/exhibits/029oldcoastrd.html

· Registered
144 Posts
One of my absolute favorite road climbs is about 25 miles to the south... Nacimiento Road, immediately across from Kirk Creek Campground. 2600' of switchbacks overlooking the ocean in 7.5 miles. Great pavement too !. You can continue out towards San Miguelito with a loop at the end making a bit over 40 miles, or do some dirt climbs from the summit of the pavement. The ride is detailed in the old (~1990ish) book "California Dream Cycling" by Bodfish. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

· Registered
266 Posts
great climb

Last time we camped at Kirk creek I brought my bike and climbed N-F. The first couple miles are pretty steep but it flattens out. One of the most prettyest rides I've ever done.

You don't have too many road options. Head north or south on 1. You could ride to Carmel, turn around and head back. Or go south over a couple decent climbs to San Simion and back but you will be bucking a headwind on the return trip.

-G

· Banned
86 Posts
Nacimiento Road, Great ride. I have heard there are some good trails off it but was never able to find them. Make sure you do not go into Hunter Liggett, it a military base

One thing to keep in mind, the road south has some very narrow parts of it. From San Simeon to that little town....can't remember the name either Gorda or Lucia is great, then it gets real skinny, then from Big Sur North is not that bad.

Another great thing about being at Ventana is you are very close to the Big Sur Bakery

www.bigsurbakery.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.