Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan yesterday was to ride from Queens to my sister's house in Tarrytown. I'm familiar with riding through Queens; the South County Trailway is a straight shot north; but I've never ridden through the Bronx to Van Cortlandt.

Was eager to try the new Triboro Bridge connection to Port Morris, but as I looked over the route from there to the park, it looked like 11 miles of pure insanity (especially on a Sunday afternoon.)

The Grand Concourse looks like Queens Blvd. on Streetview. I can handle the craziness for a few miles at a time, but had second thoughts about such a long stretch. Chickened out, took the train to the 4 and started the ride from the park.

Just curious if anybody's familiar with riding that route. I'm sure it's not that bad.......just a matter of getting used to it.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The plan yesterday was to ride from Queens to my sister's house in Tarrytown. I'm familiar with riding through Queens; the South County Trailway is a straight shot north; but I've never ridden through the Bronx to Van Cortlandt.

Was eager to try the new Triboro Bridge connection to Port Morris, but as I looked over the route from there to the park, it looked like 11 miles of pure insanity (especially on a Sunday afternoon.)

The Grand Concourse looks like Queens Blvd. on Streetview. I can handle the craziness for a few miles at a time, but had second thoughts about such a long stretch. Chickened out, took the train to the 4 and started the ride from the park.

Just curious if anybody's familiar with riding that route. I'm sure it's not that bad.......just a matter of getting used to it.
As a South Jersey suburbanite, the idea of riding in any of the five boroughs is absolutely terrifying to me. But, I'm sure its a matter of what you are used to, and making the needed adaptations

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Da Bronx has an amazing selection of bike lanes and paths as I discovered on an exploration east from the Van Cortland section of the SCT.

Head over the bridge and meander up towards the Zoo and Botanical Gardens then west along Mosholu Parkway to VCP, the the section of the SCT north thru VCP, which is dirt and muddy in sections.

The NYC bike map is your friend here.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Da Bronx has an amazing selection of bike lanes and paths as I discovered on an exploration east from the Van Cortland section of the SCT.

Head over the bridge and meander up towards the Zoo and Botanical Gardens then west along Mosholu Parkway to VCP, the the section of the SCT north thru VCP, which is dirt and muddy in sections.

The NYC bike map is your friend here.
I actually just discovered this same route myself.

Parked at Orchard Beach over by City Island...rode bike trail all the way to the SE corner of Van Cortlandt. I know it north from there. There's a couple hundred yards of dirt path, but then you're on South County Trail you can run 65 miles north to Brewster, NY.

The trail from Orchard to Van Cortland had some construction breaks, and Botanical was locked, but we had no trouble navigating around.

I've also done the Tour de Bronx a couple times. Fun ride.

Curious how OP Queens to Tarrytown goes. I'm in Hastings and my girlfriend here is from Ozone Park Queens and we want to ride that sometime.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I did see that there were quieter paths to the east, but was worried about going past the Botanical Gardens (woman was hit/killed around there recently) and Fordham (looks like complete mayhem on Streetview- or maybe that's the other section?)

Through Queens, I would've gone north along the Marina path, then over to Ditmars Blvd, past the airport craziness, over the highway to either 20th Ave (quiet street w/ bike lane) or Astoria Blvd (nuts but more direct, with an empty sidewalk.)

Then it would be over the Triboro, where I would probably get somewhat lost on Randall's Island before finding the new bridge connection to the Bronx.

I fully intend on doing this at some point. Then, I'd like to try the Old Croton Aqueduct trail with my mtb. My sister has the incredible fortune of living between two bike paths, so I have to take advantage of this! :p

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks! I did see that there were quieter paths to the east, but was worried about going past the Botanical Gardens (woman was hit/killed around there recently) and Fordham (looks like complete mayhem on Streetview- or maybe that's the other section?)

Through Queens, I would've gone north along the Marina path, then over to Ditmars Blvd, past the airport craziness, over the highway to either 20th Ave (quiet street w/ bike lane) or Astoria Blvd (nuts but more direct, with an empty sidewalk.)

Then it would be over the Triboro, where I would probably get somewhat lost on Randall's Island before finding the new bridge connection to the Bronx.

I fully intend on doing this at some point. Then, I'd like to try the Old Croton Aqueduct trail with my mtb. My sister has the incredible fortune of living between two bike paths, so I have to take advantage of this! :p
Old Croton Aqueduct (OCA) by MTB is very cool as well. Handbuilt 1842...only drops 13" per mile all the way to NYC.

From my Hastings it's roughly 25 miles north to Croton Reservoir, and 20 miles South to the Highbridge crossing into Manhattan. I've done the full run several times.

Typically we go one way, then take the train back either South from Croton Station or North from Morris Heights (We cross over the very recently opened Highbridge...thanks Mike Bloomberg!...and double back to Morris Heights station.)

Note going South...there is break for construction at Yonkers that's fenced off, but passable (improperly I'm sure.) There is also a break for construction at VanCortlandt that is completely not physically passable in any way. Must have smart phone map and route around. In general, you need a smart phone with map in Yonkers in particular, as the OCA does zig and zag a couple times and you gotta figure out where to pick it up again. It can be done though. Same for when it goes under some roads thu the Bronx near both the reservoir and as you approach the Highbridge.

Note going North...full break at Route 9. I've run the gauntlet carrying bikes over the concrete median, but the cars are moving exceedingly fast down the hill from the right...not advisable... I only did it once, and wouldn't do it again. Route around to the west.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I worked for the Parks Dep't, I had the fortune to walk over Highbridge before they started work on it. Haven't been back since it was finished, can't wait to ride over!

Encountered some construction along the way, but it was a well-marked detour. Or do you mean on the Aqueduct path?

Bet the Aqueduct is a pleasant, flat ride- the Trailway is a steady, subtle climb, and a great workout. I was concerned at first, wondering if I was THAT out-of-shape, but then I checked the elevation profile when I got home :p

·
Registered
478 Posts
When I worked for the Parks Dep't, I had the fortune to walk over Highbridge before they started work on it. Haven't been back since it was finished, can't wait to ride over!

Encountered some construction along the way, but it was a well-marked detour. Or do you mean on the Aqueduct path?

Bet the Aqueduct is a pleasant, flat ride- the Trailway is a steady, subtle climb, and a great workout. I was concerned at first, wondering if I was THAT out-of-shape, but then I checked the elevation profile when I got home :p

Do go back. They did a fabulous job with it.

Attached map of that zig and zag in Yonkers that is perhaps the most challenging to re-find it. It's EZ path paralell to Hudson, all road when it cuts west, then you can pick up the trail again when it cuts south again. Search and ye shall find!

Blue Yellow Green Colorfulness Red

1 - 8 of 8 Posts