Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I started distance road biking in January to train for the Aids LifeCycle ride and have been lurking for the last few months in the forums--I just wanted to let you guys know about the event and hopefully get some support from other bike enthusiasts.

From June 1-7, almost 3,000 people will be riding 545 miles down the California coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Each person must raise a minimum of $2,500 to participate, and last year the event raised almost $12 million for the San Francisco Aids Foundation and Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. These orgs provide not only local support for people living with AIDS in the form of counseling, public health, and education, but also work with the Pangaea Global AIDS Foundation. These organizations are working to stop the spread of the AIDS virus through clean needle programs around the world, advocacy, and funding.

Anyway, this is my first time doing the event (well, my first time doing real biking to begin with!), and I am psyched-- it's been an amazing experience, with one caveat: there are only two weeks left until the event, and I am still shy of the $2,500 minimum requirement.

If it's within your means, I would be incredibly grateful if you could donate whatever you feel comfortable to the cause. I have $10 and $100 donations, and every little bit really does help, so please don't worry about the amount.

To donate: www.aidslifecycle.org/3311

*If you've noticed that I've gone over the $2,500 requirement, please divert your donations to: www.aidslifecycle.org/2470, to help my friend Cindy out! All the money goes to the same cause, but we aren't allowed to ride if we don't meet that minimum. And if both of us go over, feel free to donate anyways! The money still goes to a great cause.

Thanks -- and if posting this on the forums is in any way inappropriate, I really apologize. I checked the FAQs above first before posting and didn't see anything... so I hope I'm not breaking any unsaid rules.

Gratefully,
Becky

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
223 Posts
CyclingVirtual said:
...i would like to know how much these promoters earn from 1 of these events.
The Better Business Bureau will tell you. I do my big charity ride every year for the National MS Society here in Southeast Texas, and they have an EXCELLENT record:

http://www.data.bbb.org/scripts/cgi...wrpt.html?language=english&bis=n&zid=61000012

For those who don't follow the link, it's 81% of income going back into patient services, 14% spent on fundraising, and 5% for administrative costs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you referring to me as a promoter?

CyclingVirtual said:
Have a good ride, i would like to know how much these promoters earn from 1 of these events.
because I'm not one -- I'm just a rider that has to fundraise. And since I this is my first time really riding, I've paid over $1,000 out of pocket for equipment to do this in the first place. Which isn't that much if I plan to stick with riding for a while, but man it hurt when I didn't have a job.

·
Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
CyclingVirtual said:
Have a good ride, i would like to know how much these promoters earn from 1 of these events.
LifeCycle isn't run by a promoter like Pallota, it's run by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center.

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/beneficiaries/index.html

Good luck lethrice, you are in for the time of your life!:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.