Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reclaimed my first ever road bike, a 1986 Schwinn LeTour and would love to make this my commuter BUT I think its about 2 sizes too small. I have completely broken the bike down and was in the process of rebuilding it but stopped because I just dont know if I will be able to ride it.

I am 5'7" with a (roughly) 30" inseam. The top tube measures out at 52mm and I think I would be better off with a 54 or 55.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you're serious about riding it, I'd recommend attacking the problem from both ends rather than just the front. Too long of a stem will dramatically change the handling. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, but I sure haven't liked it when trying to do this kind of thing. I'd also look for a seatpost with a lot of setback & a saddle with lots of rail length. That way you'll stay more centered over the frame to minimize handling issues & maximize fit/comfort potential. (The Myth of KOPS should be a non-issue by now.)

Good luck,

Greg

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
What makes you so sure it's too small? Some formula? I'd slap it together enough to take a test ride, and see if you can make it work. 2-3 cm is not so much. A little tinkering with saddle position and stem length and height may make it perfectly acceptable. It may even fit perfectly. The ideal top tube length is affected more by torso length and arm length than leg length.

Try it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I put it partially back together, enough to test a rough fit, and I think you guys are right. The size (to me) still looks a bit small but very rideable. I measured the center of the handlebars to the center of the seatpost and it is 3" shorter than my mountain bike.

So...

I had been wanting to try mountain drop bars and found this on ebay. Fair deal I think and will allow me to play with handlebar height and reach.

I have an extra mtb saddle with longer rails that will be able to set back a touch further.

varoadie, I will work on getting a couple pics. It still needs a ton of clean up and a homebrew paint job.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I'm 5'8" and just bought a 53. It felt small at first, because my old bike was a 55, but after adjusting the seat (several times) its super comfortable now. My friends who I ride with all the time have said it looks like a good size for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.