Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding from California to Florida starting sunday. I thought I was going to be able to take two wheelsets but my space is limited. I have some krysium equipes and some felt ttr3s (loaners a couple years old but low milage on them). The equipes are just marginally lighter. My concern is the crosswinds through the southern states and if i would get any advantage from the felts. I can't afford to buy another wheelset so that is not an option. any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
If you are going to make that trip...spend $200.00 to purchase (or trade/sell one of your other wheelsets) a set of 32 spoke Open Pro/Ultegra hub wheels.

This way you can get replacement parts at any LBS along the way. Specialty built wheels are not very user servicable on long trips like that and can leave you stranded for periods of time when you want/need to be on the road.

Whenever going on a trip like this...always use parts that you can pick up anywhere...it will end up saving you more money and time in the end.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
To elaborate on Backinsaddle and Wookie's answers, you need to use wheels that don't use proprietary spokes. If you break a spoke in the middle of Mississippi and you make it to the nearest bike shop, I doubt they will have Mavic spokes in stock. In fact , oftentimes than not, they have to be ordered from most bike shops even in big cities. Not to mention Mavic isn't known for fast service. They stand behind their product but turn around times are usually long. Will you have a week or more to wait for a busted spoke or two to be replaced? Besides, the durability of a set of Mavic OPs will do fine. They don't use proprietary spokes and the wheels are plenty durable for what you are going to do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alternatively, just order a set of Ksyrium spokes and take those and the spoke tool with you. Of course this isn't much cheaper than just buying the more reliable OP/Ultegra wheels already mentioned above.

·
Banned
428 Posts
Yes, get the OP's or Velocity box sections standard 32 spoke wheels.

I just tried to true a OP with alloy nipples and some of the nipples rounded off, cracked etc. Trying it get the wheel back to true after replacing the one spoke resulted in more broken nipples, in the end I replaced about 8 or 9 spokes and just screwing the nipples on to a decent tighteness almost completely straightened the rim. Then I tweaked the new spokes, and going by pitch and the distance to the brake pads, the wheel is almost perfect again.

Carrying a box of spokes and a spoke wrench would enable you to diy if necessary.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
bent steel said:
Alternatively, just order a set of Ksyrium spokes and take those and the spoke tool with you. Of course this isn't much cheaper than just buying the more reliable OP/Ultegra wheels already mentioned above.
just use the Mavics. Get a couple of replacement spokes - should run you about $20 for 2/wheel.

·
Registered
518 Posts
there seems to be a huge lack of background from the OP. are you going on a fully supported tour? how else would you have expected to possibly bring a spare wheelset? if the tour is fully supported, i'm guessing you can hop in a sag vehicle when you have mechanical troubles. it's not as rewarding, but at least you are not stranded waiting for proprietary spokes.

fwiw, i had a rim fail during my cross country journey. i had amateur wheelbuilding skills at the time so i rebuilt the wheel at the nearest lbs but if i had proprietary components, instead of a 32 hole open pro wheelset, i would have been stuck in podunk Iowa for much longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts