Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I donated blood last Monday. The doctor said to avoid any strenous physical activity for the next 24 hours. I did an easy 1 hr ride today.

We have a hard hilly group ride this sunday. Which is affected by donating blood, aerobic or anaerobic performance?

How soon do I recover the lost blood/red blood cells and be back to normal?

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
You should be fine by Sunday.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
trangkista said:
I donated blood last Monday. The doctor said to avoid any strenous physical activity for the next 24 hours. I did an easy 1 hr ride today.

We have a hard hilly group ride this sunday. Which is affected by donating blood, aerobic or anaerobic performance?

Blood donation has a significant negative impact on performance. Recovery of top end performance may take up to 6 weeks following blood donation as it can take that long to replace the red blood cells (presuming of course you are not planning to re-inject it).

Good for the community, not good for performance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I recall hearing that apricots are rich in Fe (Iron), so I'm guessing that'd be a good choice to help regain the RBC's. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Donation effects

trangkista said:

Day of donation, your time trialing speed will drop by about 1 mph. After a week, it's around 0.2 mph. After that's it's hard to tell, but all the research says you don't fully recover for 6-8 weeks. The last bit comes back pretty slowly and is also hard to differentiate from just daily variations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Day of donation, your time trialing speed will drop by about 1 mph. After a week, it's around 0.2 mph. After that's it's hard to tell, but all the research says you don't fully recover for 6-8 weeks. The last bit comes back pretty slowly and is also hard to differentiate from just daily variations.

Thanks guys, I think I can take the 0.2mph drop in speed this sunday :) . I had to donate for a 37 year old friend who had to undergo a heart bypass operation. More motivation to ride us to ride our bicycles and hopefully to eat healthier foods.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did my second ride today 72 hours after donating blood.

It was a flat and windless 40km course and I was with 3 other guys who are stronger than me even before I donated blood. Our average speed was 38kph, every 2 or 3 km one guy would attack for about 500meters and push the speed to about 45kph then the speed would go back to between 35-38kph. They were not trying to drop anybody, but it is part of their routine. My 3 companions took turns at the front while I just sucked on their wheels the entire ride.

I felt fine when the speed is constant. During the attacks/surges I could still latch on to the wheel of the guy in front of me, but my recovery time was noticably longer. Towards the last 5km of the ride, they pushed up the pace, I was so focused on not getting dropped that I did get to look at my computer. I still got dropped at about the last 2km. After the ride, I felt a little lightheaded, about the same feeling when you suddenly climb to a high altitude.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Research on blood donation..

trangkista said:

Actually the research shows that submaximal performance is not affected by blood donation. VO2 max, or max efforts are impacted. You should not really notice a difference unless you are doing a VO2 max test or hard 5 minute intervals.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the conclusion to my blood donation.

Last Friday, I did an easy paced 30km training ride. No sprints or intervals, just a steady light gear spinning. Saturday, I rested. Come Sunday, I joined the group ride on a course with lots of long climbing and descents. I felt that I did pretty well and did not feel any of the effects of the blood donation.

I guess, everything goes back to normal after 1 week.

So go and donate blood, its good for the community.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I give blood pretty predictable everytime they tell me I'm elegible again. I barely make the weight requirements to give, and as such, I really notice the difference. I'm actually thinking of waiting and giving every other time I'm elegible, because it effects me so much. Like going up two flights of stairs gets the heart racing and leaves me feeling lightheaded.

I'm sure the more you weigh, the easier it is for your body to recover, until a point of course, but I've never seen any evidence to support this. All I know is my BIL who is my blood buddy is perfectly fine 2-3 days later and it takes me a little over a week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.