Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'll be in the Woodstock, VT area this weekend + Monday, and would love to do some cycling. Unfortunately, I left my climbing legs behind along with my youth a few years ago :p. So I'd love to do some rolling hills to take in some scenery but nothing too steep please.

I have looked on Mapmyride and it seems that most of the rides will take me NNW alongside Rt. 12 towards Bethel, or NNE to Pomfret.

What about towards Green Mountain forest? I see there are Rt. 4 and Rt. 100 that skirts the edge of it. Are they busy, are they ride-able? What about Rt. 12 and Rt. 106?

I'll be bringing an Edge 705 with some GPX waypoints from Mapmyride, but I am not familiar with VT at all, and since my 705 is new I have not bought anything other than the built-in rudimentary and rather useless base map.

If it makes a difference, I am coming to VT from Boston, or to be more precise Somerville, MA.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hello OJ

Great riding to be had out there. Route 4 is busy and full of traffic (by NH/VT standards) so I'd avoid it.

I'd start at the Dartmouth Cycling Team website (www.dartmouth.edu/~cycle) and under the "Routes" tab you see a lot of the great rides in the area that we do. I can personally recommend my "sweet ride" from that list but keep in mind that there are a few challenging climbs along the way. They localize to Hanover, NH (30 minutes away) but you might see a few roads that are relevant for your own rides out of Woodstock (and most loops run through Woodstock so you can follow them as written anyways, just with a different start/finish).

In general, I'd suggest hopping on as many back road/dirt roads as possible. They're well manicured (steep) and a ton of fun for the most part. There are a million fun routes through Quechee that I can think of from Woodstock so literally just take a chance and explore. The riding out here is something to behold.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Orange,

I would avoid Route 4 anything east of town (between Woodstock and Quechee) there isn't much shoulder and lots of traffic. West of town towards Bridgewater and Rt. 100 is pretty good riding though. Unfortunately here in VT you won't find many rides that don't have a big hill or two mixed in...

Another option is taking 106 south out of town, down to route 44 which brings you into Windsor where you can take Route 12 back North towards Woodstock. If you'd like PM whereabouts you are starting and how many miles you'd like to go and I can map you a ride.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DM.Aelis said:
Hello OJ

Great riding to be had out there. Route 4 is busy and full of traffic (by NH/VT standards) so I'd avoid it.

I'd start at the Dartmouth Cycling Team website (www.dartmouth.edu/~cycle) and under the "Routes" tab you see a lot of the great rides in the area that we do. I can personally recommend my "sweet ride" from that list but keep in mind that there are a few challenging climbs along the way. They localize to Hanover, NH (30 minutes away) but you might see a few roads that are relevant for your own rides out of Woodstock (and most loops run through Woodstock so you can follow them as written anyways, just with a different start/finish).

In general, I'd suggest hopping on as many back road/dirt roads as possible. They're well manicured (steep) and a ton of fun for the most part. There are a million fun routes through Quechee that I can think of from Woodstock so literally just take a chance and explore. The riding out here is something to behold.
Hi DM, good point on checking out the Dartmouth team website, thanks! From the sound of it, the area just north of Rt. 4 is great riding area, so I'll explore around there, borrowing a piece or two from the Dartmouth rides.

Is Rt. 4 a major road since there are no other alternatives for going west-east in that region?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LostRower said:
Orange,

I would avoid Route 4 anything east of town (between Woodstock and Quechee) there isn't much shoulder and lots of traffic. West of town towards Bridgewater and Rt. 100 is pretty good riding though. Unfortunately here in VT you won't find many rides that don't have a big hill or two mixed in...

Another option is taking 106 south out of town, down to route 44 which brings you into Windsor where you can take Route 12 back North towards Woodstock. If you'd like PM whereabouts you are starting and how many miles you'd like to go and I can map you a ride.
Thanks for the tip on Rt. 4!

Your idea of taking 106 to 44 to Windsor sounds very good, I'll try that, thanks!

Sounds that I should just print a map or buy a more complete map for my GPS, and then try the loops while avoiding the busy roads like Rt. 4.

Is Rt. 100 bad? I see it shares a segment with Rt. 4 just south of Green Mountain.

Will PM you to take you up on your offer, thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
PM sent... Route 4 west of Woodstock is just as busy as east of Woodstock, but the road is for the most part MUCH wider, giving traffic space so they don't have to buzz you.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Rte. 100

orange_julius said:
Is Rt. 100 bad? I see it shares a segment with Rt. 4 just south of Green Mountain.
The stretch of 100 shared with 4 has wide shoulders and good pavement, and not that much traffic, but it is a pretty steady climb going north. 100 south of 4 is pretty good riding and not much traffic. Last time I was on 100 north of 4, the pavement was not great plus it was narrow, zero shoulder of any kind, short sight distances, etc. It may have sorted out after a few miles, but we turned around before we went very far.

If you head down to Plymouth Union on 100, you can cut back to Woodstock from there. It's a very steep but very short climb up to Plymouth, and then a very nice gradual descent back towards Woodstock.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kerry Irons said:
The stretch of 100 shared with 4 has wide shoulders and good pavement, and not that much traffic, but it is a pretty steady climb going north. 100 south of 4 is pretty good riding and not much traffic. Last time I was on 100 north of 4, the pavement was not great plus it was narrow, zero shoulder of any kind, short sight distances, etc. It may have sorted out after a few miles, but we turned around before we went very far.

If you head down to Plymouth Union on 100, you can cut back to Woodstock from there. It's a very steep but very short climb up to Plymouth, and then a very nice gradual descent back towards Woodstock.
Thanks for the tips, Kerry.

Is Rt. 14 between Hartford and Royalton OK? It would make a nice segment, but it appears to straddle I-89.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Route 14 shouldn't be too bad the shoulders are fine, I don't know how the pavement is though. From South Royalton to get back to Woodstock you could take Howe Hill Rd, which is a pretty quiet road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts