Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've been messing around with riding backwards out of my trackstands and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get a complete rotation of my cranks. i get stuck in the 12 and 6 and that is when i loose my balence. it is really weird. any tips or links to tips would be awesome. or maybe i should just go mess around in the street more?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Go play in the street. :)

When you're riding forwards, the dynamics of a bicycle work to help you balance. When you are trackstanding, you get a little bit of help from technique and geometry. If you just stand rigid and try to balance on the tires, you tend to fall over pretty quick. And when pedaling backwards, everything is working against you.

Best hope (my guess only) is to set a turning radius, then adjust speed to balance falling in vs. falling out. I can't do it, but some of the couriers around here come close. But those guys trackstand no-handed, while talking on the phone and carrying a cup of coffee, so they clearly have some mojo I don't.

As an aside, David Wilson and his band of merry men at MIT attempted to build a bike with a non-steering front wheel and front wheel drive, with a rear steering wheel - essentially like sitting on our bikes backwards. Despite trying all manner of rake/angle/trail/balance configurations, they could not come up with a bike anyone could ride more than a few feet.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
I can ride backwards by sitting on the handlebar and looking over my shoulder. Although I haven't tried it w/a fixie I can do it on other bikes. As a kid, I used to be better at it since I was able to sit comfortably on my 20" bmx bike's padded V-handlebar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is hard but i've done that a little. but riding backwards while facing forward is flippin hard. i bet it is just one of those things you have to just keep tryin and trying. but if anyone has tips feel free to chirp in!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
"Stupid bike tricks" evolved into a popular indoor sport in Europe. Here are the UCI rules—check out pages 28-40 for a few more interesting ways to ride to a bike.

http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/8arti-E.pdf

Basically, the bike is fixed with a 1:1 gear ratio. Special frame and saddle, no fork rake, pegs front and rear. Nice to watch, but hard to do unless you started this sport at age 12 or so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i saw some of that on quicksilver. it was a awesome movie. i can't seem to figure out how kevin bacon switches from fixed to free wheel mid race. that is another trick i need to figure out. when he wants to stop or is riding on flat ground he is fixed. when is going downhill or bunny hopping he can free wheel!! really crazy!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
It just takes a lot of practice. During the term I'd practice between classes when I had nothing better to do and eventually got it down.

You're right on so far, the biggest initial problem is pedaling past the dead spot at 12 and 6. Doing it seated helps keep your balance but you don't have as much momentum/weight on the pedals to get you past the dead spot so just focus on a heavy push initially and keep a smooth pedal stroke. You'll feel yourself falling to one side so just adjust with smooth inputs on the bars. Try and do a circle then straighten out into a track stand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.