Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
LostRower said:
Should I not go out if there are scattered thunderstorms in the area? I just got ready to go out and heard some thunder and a little rain... :mad: Would it be a bad idea to go out?
I've been caught many times. If it gets too close, find someplace to hole up. Most people don't mind if you sit on their front porch until it blows over. The real problem is that the car drivers can't see. - TF

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
use information technology

Check the radar. You can see whether the storms are coming your way or going around you. T-storms can be very localized, even when intense. You might hear thunder and feel a little rain, when the storm is mostly missing you and it's safe to go. Weather.com and wunderground.com are good sites.

I have the same mixed feelings as others here. It can be kind of fun to get caught in a real downpour, but strong gusty winds, hail, and especially lightning will scare me under cover.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My wife and I have been caught in a few this summer and like TurboTurtle says, the worst part is the visibility thing. During our first double metric we got caught in a wicked one. There was thunder, lightening and lots of rain. We got off the road when I noticed another cyclist in front of us and I could barely see him/her. I knew it was not a good idea for us to be out there. We found some cover and waited it out. My wife is very antsy around lightening so the urge to get under cover was even greater for her. The only problem is that being under cover still isn't safe for lightening, you have to be inside. I think the real problem is not being struck by lightening, but be close to something that is and have it travel through the ground to you.

We got caught in one again today and were getting ready to stop at a car dealership a few km's away. By the time we got there the thunder and lightening had settled, but it was still pouring....We kept riding...Once you are wet, you are wet and getting home is my goal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I decided to go out, just got back. I did get caught in a pretty bad rain storm and sought refuge in a hardware store, visibility being the reason why. I could barely see 30 feet in front of me and I figured it couldnt be much better for drivers so I got off the road for about 10 minutes and waited for the heavy rain to go through. Other that that it was as much fun as ive had on my new road bike. Going 35 down a hill while getting pelted by rain is quite a rush!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just got caught in a little downpour today matta' fact.

I play a little game of chicken with mother nature pretty often. I do a ride a lot that takes me straight SW of where I live and it seems like the rain is always moving in from that direction. I ride to a point where it looks real nasty and then let it chase me back home...today I couldn't outrun it!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The fact most of us (at least me) like to ignore is that a great number of lightning strikes are not where you are literally getting rained on.

I've heard that lightning can strike several miles away from the "storm".

Like most everyone else, I've been caught out.

But I've gotten past the "gotta ride today" syndrome so it's easy for me to avoid these situations now.

I would also rather be inside drinking coffee!

For the record, some of my fastest time trials have been riding away from storms. One of the ladies in our group always reminds me of something I said long ago when our group was caught in a storm. "It's every man for himself!"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where I ride is quite flat and open and it's out in the country, so there really is no where to seek shelter. If storms look like they are coming, we'll usually stay home. IMO, the risks involved in riding in that aren't worth taking. I've never been caught out in a storm (yet), but I guess if I was, I'd just pedal faster.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Getting chased by a storm makes for great tailwind. As long as you stay ahead of it it's awesome, once the hail hits your head... well, it's time to hide in a CVS!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've ridden a whole bunch of times when T'storms were predicted and didn't happen, but have been caught in bigtime thunder/lightning with no place to hide about five times, just kept riding and praying, settling accounts, waiting to get struck. No strikes yet, obviously, but I'm chicken enough in my older age that if it really looks like lightning, I don't ride. The adrenaline rush doesn't outweigh the fear, but I'm an old dude....
Minstrie

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
axebiker said:
Ummm... If you can hear thunder and feel rain, lightning can fry your ass. NOT safe.

Just be smart - if it looks rough, take shelter. Pretty simple.
You can hear thunder from several miles away. If the storm cell is moving away from you, there ain't much danger. "Looks rough" is a vague standard. We have more precise tools readily available.

But do what makes you feel good. I don't take unnecessary chances either, but I use the info availablet to make decisions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.