Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you prefer to ride ?
With Friends....Alone ?

The reason I ask is that I am fairly new to road bike riding. I started last May so been at it a year. Last year after starting I found a few guys that I know that ride quite a bit. I rode with them a couple times last year and it was fun to have some one to hit the road with....for me anyway.

This year I have communicated with them a couple times about riding. They said sure....well get together sometime and that's as far as it went. I can't seem to find anyone to ride with so I just go alone.

Long story short...

Why is it so hard to find someone to ride with ?

Would you rather ride alone or with someone ?

In general it seems like to me the cycling crowd are a bunch of loners....would rather ride alone.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
there are plenty of venues to ride with groups...shop rides, charity rides, singles meet-ups...

check those out if you want to ride with other people.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Well, since you're a newer cyclist, you may not be as fit as the other cyclists or may not be into the type of road riding they're doing (speed, distance, technical skills). If they're courteously declining rides with you, don't take offense; sooner or later you'll find either compatible riders or you'll become compatible with more experienced riders.

Until then, continue to ride.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like to go alone. Go when/where you want, as hard as you want, for as long as you want.

The one advantage of riding with others is hopeful they are just a little better than you and forcing you to push yourself and grow a little bit each ride.

When I started I had 3 buddies and we were all pretty well matched. Pushed each other. Rode a lot. Then one got married and the other took up golf.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to go alone. Go when/where you want, as hard as you want, for as long as you want.
I'm starting to get that way. I have lost 30 lb since I started riding (down to 175)...Push myself pretty hard at times...I did trainer ride and suffer fest over the winter and am always trying to get better. Wish I could find someone that would push me a little.....just to see if I could keep up. Oh well.....I'll just keep riding.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Find a group ride. Often it's too hard to coordinate with just another rider, especially if you don't know them that well.

Jump into a group ride and you'll experience an entirely different world of riding, especially if you can hook up with people that race and are looking to go a bit faster.

And Strava. Fastest way to find the fastest people around.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why is it so hard to find someone to ride with ?

Would you rather ride alone or with someone ?

In general it seems like to me the cycling crowd are a bunch of loners....would rather ride alone.
Bike shops do rides around here. The place I bought my bike at does a ride every Tuesday (and mtn bike on Sunday). I'd look for something like that. Then you'll probably make friends with some of them and do other non-shop rides.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm probably one of the few that like riding solo. I'm probably the weakest one out of group of riders and I continually find myself in the red. Training wise, that's probably good but it also makes me useless for the rest of day. A migraine will kick in followed by a bout of nausea and vomiting. Wife shakes her head and gets angry and 4.5 year old has no concept of how bad you're feeling.

So for the most part, I ride solo for the reasons above. What's interesting though and one of the other guys from our group made a comment on one of my recent rides...."how is it possible that you ride faster solo than in our group?"

I think the answer to that question is that being in the red all the time, there is no recovery (at least for me) so I ultimately I get to the point where I drop my speed down for long periods to recover.

When I ride solo, I'm on the cusp of being red but can recover when I need to and then go back hard again. It's hard to explain but that's rationally what we've come up with.

Someone who's more scientific could probably explain it better or have a better explanation.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Some types of training rides I prefer solo, otherwise I prefer group rides.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Occasionally I'll do a group ride or ride with an acquaintance, but mostly alone. A few years ago I was regularly doing group rides, but lately I prefer solo.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I also enjoy riding with friends. But like the OP, it's sometimes hard to get people together for a ride, so I go solo quite often.

However, I have to draw a distinction between riding with friends and doing a "group ride". I gave up on most club and shop rides because I came to the conclusion that the majority of the riders are not really my friends. I would classify them more as acquaintances that share a common interest in cycling. And frankly, some of them I just didn't like, despite the fact that we share a common interest. So I would rather ride alone than ride with them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a good friend that likes to ride but......he would rather talk social stuff while riding...which is ok sometimes and I need those slow rides...but for the most part the club people here in town are like you said " not really my friends "....and I'm not sure what they like most, Riding or Drinking :) and I don't drink ..... alcohol anyway.

So for the most part I ride by myself. I live in a small community so there aren't that many that ride the roads. I could look at other towns that have bike shops/clubs.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
I used to have a riding buddy who was evenly matched with me in terms of speed and distance, and had the same flexibility in his schedule. Also, we always had lots of stuff to talk about during our 2 - 2.5 hour rides. He also made his own beer, so we would re-hydrate back at his place with some good homebrew.

He developed some serious back problems and had to stop riding. We're still buddies who can while away several hours over beers with lots to talk about and lots of laughs.

After Mike couldn't ride any more, I tried to find other riders among my other riding buddies, and also guys I saw on a regular basis on my normal daily loop. No dice. It was never the same.

I've been riding my normal loop solo ever since. It's not so bad. But for a while, it was so boring, I started riding with earbuds in listening to music. Now I just ride alone, no tunes. But it doesn't bother me that much. I think about stuff and often come up with solutions to work problems when I'm riding.

The End.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It depends on what you mean by 'cycling crowd.' There are people out there who actually race bicycles in real road races (not rides, not fondos, not centuries) to whom riding in a tight group is at the very core of their sport.

But I know what you mean. Many rides here are advertised as 'group rides,' but they are that in name only. After a mile or two, there are small groups of riders tooling down the road at a comfortable speed, often coasting down every incline and ridiculously "attacking" at the bottom of every uphill only to die half-way up. You ask yourself "for this I drove my car to the starting point?" and soon lose interest.

Sometimes though (and this is my suggestion), you can tease out kindred spirits from groups like that. Ride together with him or her either off the front or the back of one of these rides. Perhaps in the weeks to come, you can get together with that rider and form your own little group which leaves a bit before or after the mob does.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mostly do road rides alone and mountain bike rides with 1 or 2 other riders. Occasionally I'll do benefit rides that start enmasse (30 - 50 riders) then separate out into small groups. I don't like riding in or coming accross 10+ riding groups when mountain biking.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Similar situation as SPIKE. My cousin and I used to lay down some miles. Given that physical conditioning takes a far back seat to mental conditioning in my reasons for riding I didn't have a care in the world that I was always a bit faster/stronger than he was. When he drifted away from riding that was it, those days were over and my riding life had to go on without Scott as there just didn't seem to be another one to fill his shoes. That happens with a lot of things in life.

I just ride my own ride.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Thorogood style. I ride alone, yeah, with nobody else. I like the alone time. Solve all kinds of problems in my head

Reactions: SPlKE

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Friends are fine if they're experienced. Strangers are always a danger. The faster the group/ride the more danger they pose. Friends of friends are strangers to you, don't forget that. What I'm saying is other riders can crash you very easily and trust me, nobody's company is worth that. If they're better than you and can help you improve by constantly making you push yourself to keep up, that sounds like a good situation to me. In any case I'd be sure you trust whomever is with you.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.