Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I don't think I will be doing anything substantial, bike-wise, until next year.

Next year, I have set up goals to ride in a Cat 5 race and do two or three centuries. Can anyone direct me to a training program that I could follow over the fall and winter to be in shape to do this next year....preferrably free?

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
I use and recommend the Eddy Merckx program, which just happens to be free: "Ride lots."

Srsly, that's the best thing to do. Get a bunch of base miles into your legs during the winter months, then start working on specific goals come spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allez Rouge said:
I use and recommend the Eddy Merckx program, which just happens to be free: "Ride lots."

Srsly, that's the best thing to do. Get a bunch of base miles into your legs during the winter months, then start working on specific goals come spring.
Yeah, I was figuring on doing that (Colorado winters will necessitate rollers and the trainer this winter which will get boring), but any weights and other types of exercises? I am not a noob to riding, but I have never ridden in a crit before, and the thought of it (both the racing itself and being lapped multiple times) scares me:eek:

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
There's nothing magical about training programs. Friel's book is relatively cheap. The book is fairly boring, but lays out a nice training schedule. This incorporates endurance, various intervals, and rest periods. The program allows you to build endurance and power. The rest weeks help minimize the risk of plateauing

Agreed that winters can suck. I watch old races while on the rollers and use CTS and Real Rides for my intervals.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Not that this is necessarily smart for someone dedicated to cycling and only cycling but I view the winters as a time to make up for what I neglect in the spring, summer and fall because I only bike then.

So I'll do a ton of core stuff (which actually could be considered directly related to cycling), upper body weight training and hitting the speed bag. I will sit on the trainer as long as I can stand it (which is usually only 15 min) just so I don't lose it all over the winter.

The core stuff really helps. I think no matter what you try to do in the winter you're legs won't be in mid-season form when you hit the road in the spring so it's nice to at least have a strong core when you're working your legs back into shape.

I have not tried it but quite a few of the guys I ride with swear by cross country skiing. They do it because they like it but they say it just so happens to be a great way to keep in some sort of biking shape and not be bored to tears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts