Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ride tommorow but it looks like maybe some scattered showers. If I get caught up in the rain is it going to make my bike rust? If I do get wet what should I do to my bike when I get back home? You all are the best.............Justin :D

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
mtnbikenc1979 said:
I want to ride tommorow but it looks like maybe some scattered showers. If I get caught up in the rain is it going to make my bike rust? If I do get wet what should I do to my bike when I get back home? You all are the best.............Justin :D
Is it going to make your bike rust?? It's possible if you don't give your bike a good bath when you get home.. If you leave your drivetrain dripping with water you are just asking for trouble. Most of the problem with riding in the rain is the debris from the road that accumulates on your ride (and you) Just give your bike a good bath, clean and dry the drivetrain & chain.. and then lube it and you'll be ready for a rain ride the next day. Don't forget to clean the rims and brake pads which build up some grime. As far as the frame.. not much to worry about so long as you don't have water building up in the frame.. which you shouldn't.

I should say I don't look forward to rain rides (and I live in Oregon) because of the hassle before and after the ride. Riding in the rain itself is actually fun.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Do what the other post said, and...

After you wipe everything down, bounce the bike up and down 3-4 times and rewipe it down. This will get rid of that little extra bit of water that you can't get to in all the little nooks and crannys of the bike.

If your bike has a steel frame, it might be a good idea to remove the seatpost and hang the bike upside down to drain/dry. This will assure that any water that has worked it's way into the frame will be gone. And it will prevent your frame from rusting from the inside out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Justin,

Not only does riding in the rain make a mess of the bike and you too but, you are much more likely to cut a tire. A sharp stone or object may not cut a dry tire but the water acts like a lubricant. Water on the road also masks objects that you would avoid if you could see them. Be careful and clean up afterwards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dude you crack me up. If it gets wet...don't take it on the rug. Your Mom will kill you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to worry

Just wipe down the bike and drivetrain when you're done. Your bottom bracket might have a hole tapped in it to allow moisture to drain from it, if any accumulates. If you're really worried, you can do as innergel suggests below. If you don't have fenders, you might get muddy, but that's about the worst of it. Remember that people have ridden steel bikes for ages in places that get a lot of rain, and a lot of those bikes are still around.

Trent,

who only has rain bikes

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Of course all the comments are correct

But I gotta say... if all you do is park the bike out of the rain when you're done, it will be fine. It'll be dry a bit later than if you wiped everything down, but it will be fine.

Wiping everything, lubing everything, washing the dirt off everything, are all good for your bike, but you don't need to do anything. None of that wiping will prevent water from entering any of the places that matter (hubs, headset, bottom bracket), nor will the wiping repair water damage in those places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts