Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Every time I go through the Sepulveda Tunnel that links the San Fernando Valley with West Los Angeles, my heart beats a little faster and makes a little journey toward my mouth. The traffic engineers have recently installed a button near the tunnel entrances that lights a beacon warning motorists that there are "bicyclists in tunnel," but I'm still not exactly mellow as I head through it.

I figure you're asking about the fabled Sepulveda Tunnel here. What you can do to truly minimize your vehicle encounters when heading north to the valley is to stop at the beacon button and wait for the traffic light at Skirball Center to cut off the flow of traffic. Then wait a few seconds more for the traffic turning right from Skirball Center to pass also. When the coast is clear, go like hell.

When heading southward, just wait for a quiet moment. After all, there are two lanes going south.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I prefer the Sepulveda tunnel to that one on northbound 101 just inland from Gaviota--felt like stopping to change my shorts by the time I got through that. I'm glad I had the sense to have three taillights on the bike on that trip. Just wish I'd had earplugs to deal with all the #&$%in' drivers honking at me--man, that is loud in there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.