Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in Ventura, CA and want to get some road riding in. Anyone have any suggestions on routes--hills and ocean flats fine. I sure appreciate the help as I have never been there before.

Marsjon

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Try going up State Highway 33 to Ojai. A nice , if not exactly deserted country highway...once the freeway portion ends, that is. There's a bike path that parallels the route, too, but I'm not sure where it starts or ends. Ask locally. I've never actually biked Highway 33, but I used to drive on it often, headed for the wonderful Sulphur Mountain mountain bike trail. The Pacific Coast Highway is pretty good in both directions, also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Malibu south or Santa Barbara north

marsjon said:
I am going to be in Ventura, CA and want to get some road riding in. Anyone have any suggestions on routes--hills and ocean flats fine. I sure appreciate the help as I have never been there before.

Marsjon
If this is your first ride in Ventura, you may want to ride north along the coast to
Santa Barbara and Goleta; great stretches along the surf on Hwy 101
--very popular. About a 65 mile r/t; another 13 miles north is Goleta or to
Isla Vista (UC Santa Barbara). Or head south from Ventura maybe along Gonzales Ave. toward Oxnard where you can access Hwy 1 which becomes Pacific Coast Highway and ride along the coast (great ocean views) to the Malibu Pier.
You'll meet a number of long distance riders both directions on their Seattle to
San Francisco to Los Angeles adventures. There are a number of state beach parks with rest facilities. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
The bike route to Ojai is hugely preferable to Hwy 33, IMHO, as traffic on 33 can be bad, especially around the "choke points" like Casitas Springs and Oak View--fast, aggressive drivers with narrow lanes and narrower shoulders.

Get on the bike path by going north on Olive from Main St (Olive borders the shopping center with the Vons market); go one block north of the freeway onramps, and go west on the side street (Rex?). The entrance to the bike path is right where the street curves to the right. Follow the path to Ojai--you can't get lost. It terminates just beyond Libbey Park. One caveat: the south part of the path isn't always a place of scenic wonders. It passes through some oil fields (active and derelict) and equipment storage yards, but this accounts for only a few miles and becomes pleasant well before you pass through Foster Park (roughly the midpoint of the path). I posted a ride report years ago, going from Santa Paula through Ventura, Ojai, the upper Ojai Valley and back to Santa Paula which would give an idea of what you'd encounter, but it didn't make it when we had the big "upgrade" for the forum software. Anyone know how to restore it? I saved the html and data components....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.