Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm spending spring and summer in Vienna, and brought my bike. Awesome riding. Problem is: my pics don"t seem to upload. If I copy the filename from photobucket, whether IMG or URL, I get 'invalid file'. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firewall removed! Riding in Vienna, with pics

As I said, I'm spending four months in Vienna. I've been here before, but never long, never with a bike, and never in the spring. It's absolutely fabulous. I couldn't think of a better place to work, enjoy a tremendous array of cultural sites and events--and to bike. I'm living in the 8th district, just outside the old city center, which is surrounded by a wide circular street appropriately called 'Ring'. On the Ring is a bikepath which leads you along places like this:

and this:

In about five minutes you reach the Danube Canal, which has wide bike paths where you can make good speed and warm up (in the back you see a very cool power station, and an apartment building by Zaha Hadid):

A dedicated bike bridge leads you across the mighty Danube to the Danube Island, which can see on the left:

This is an artificial island of about 20 miles, built to prevent the annual flood waters from reaching the town. As you can imagine, its paradise for bikers, skaters, and (very important in Vienna) nudists. No, no pics. Let's just say it's not what you imagine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Riding in Vienna, with pics

Today's trip was to the Vienna Woods (the Wiener Wald) just north of downtown. There is hardly any urban sprawl here, and within 5 minutes you see Elisabethöhe on the left, a little church and monastry. I'm climbing up there from the back. The photo is taken from the Donauinsel, just before crossing over to the right bank:

This is in Klosterneuburg. Further back to the right is the sanatorium where Franz Kafka died. Passing by there I take a deep breath. Notice the cobbles!

I have to climb a seriously steep, but short path through the vineyards to get into the woods:

After a while the fun section of ride begins: switchbacks!

Reaching the top of the climb, there's even more fun: a climb with cobbles!

Once you've done this (about five miles) there's a pretty hairraising descent, at which point you have no other acceptable way out than to climb back up:

The payoff (other than your legs drowning in lactate and you entire body humming from the cobbles):

All in all about fifty miles. SInce it happened to be my birthday, I rewarded myself with lunch in the best Café in town (on the Ring, you can see the bikepath where I started out):

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
Enjoyed your pics. Now, what cafe? Demel? Imperial? Both, in my experience, were a true learning experience in how good pastry could be. Then, later, the wife and I went to a branch of the Arabia coffeehouses scattered around Vienna, and I had the single best cup of coffee I've had in my life. Better than anything at Peets. Better even than Cafe St. Eustachio in Rome. Now...how about a little of the Ludwig Van? Angel trumpets and devil trombones?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Café in the picture is the Landtmann. Ironically, I'm not much of a pastry and coffee guy. Landtmann has the best Schnitzel in town.

I'm spending much time (and money) in the Musikverein, where they're doing all my symphonies this month. Not bad.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
Enjoyed your pics. Now, what cafe? Demel? Imperial? Both, in my experience, were a true learning experience in how good pastry could be. Then, later, the wife and I went to a branch of the Arabia coffeehouses scattered around Vienna, and I had the single best cup of coffee I've had in my life. Better than anything at Peets. Better even than Cafe St. Eustachio in Rome. Now...how about a little of the Ludwig Van? Angel trumpets and devil trombones?
Peets???? that comes in a PAPER CUP. coffee in vienna and rome are different. it's personal preference which is better. same goes for the pastries. i have yet to find a good cornetto in america.

I was in Vienna last spring and rode the donauinsel up to the little wineries in the hills. Great biking in that town. awesome public transportation, too. i didnt go to wienerwald, though i wanted to.

vienna blew away my expectations. it was wonderful. i was there for work for a week and could totally see living there.

enjoy it! pics look great. the other thing i wanted to do was take this class on how to make apple strudel at the big palace (forget the name, the BIG one with the gardens and zoo). we saw the sign for it, but it had already started that day and we didnt feel like going back later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts