Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a group ride Sunday and hit a patch of road for a couple of miles that just boggled my mind. I questioned whether or not I was in the 1800's. This is no exaggeration when I say it was the worst road I have ever seen in my life. Usually you can pick a relatively clean line to ride, even if you have to slalom all over the place. On this road, even that was impossible. I honestly thought some part of the bike was going to break. I couldn't even sit on the saddle at some points. And what blows my mind is that this is the route chosen by the group. Maybe it's a necessary evil in that this road MUST be travelled to get from point A to B. What made it worse was that the group still tried to maintain somewhat of a paceline. I fell off the back about 10 yards so I could see the road better and at least take the smaller of the potholes.

What will regular riding in these conditions do to your components? The only that I can think of that could be damaged is your headset/headtube. I've got an integrated setup, so I think this especially would hold true. I don't even want to look inside the headtube to see what happened. I did (as I expected) have to tighted the headset when I got home. The snug adjustment I keep on the headset had rattled itself loose over that road. Probably had the cartridge bearings going clunk, clunk, clunk, against the headtube.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts