Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Lots of people did...........in 1987. Not so much any more.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Worked great for Bobby Julich.

That and all the juice he was getting from Team CSC.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been on Osymetric rings for about 6 months now and I'm really digging them. I can't say whether they give me any measurable increase in power but they feel like they do and give me some extra confidence. They definitely feel better in a sprint too. I think this topic has probably been beaten to death on various forums around the internet. Some people love them, some people hate them. Some research says they help, some says they don't. To me, it is just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, that's pretty funny. I rode those Shimano rings in 87 too, by way of a coincidence. Nevertheless, that concept wasn't oval. It was horrid. Fast forward twenty years or so, change the shape, change the clocking - yes, it's a now a completely different beast.

Modern ovals offer a smoother spin, with an improvement in the delivery of power to the rear tyre. The last bit is really more relevant to mountain bikers (like me). Note ovals do not add or increase power, this is a misnomer. They just help make the best of what you already have.

Sounds like you're due to give a new 21st century oval a go, just to see. AB offers a 'swap back to round' offer if you decide you really don't like it. I'm confidant that you'll stick with it. What's to lose?

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Chuck,

You're right. It's personal choice. You're also right to say that there is zero power advantage. Ovals just help make the best of what you've already got.

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Toulouse, you and about a million other people who didn't like the Shimano concept (inc me). Read my reply to Mr Grumpy.

Cheers.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Ovals just help make the best of what you've already got.
You've made this statement twice. Oval rings have been around (in various shapes) for over 100 years. They show up every 10-20 years with a new version. Each and every reincarnation claims to fix the problems of the previous version. And yet they never catch on in any serious way. The reason for this is that your statement is not true. If it was, we would all be on oval rings and would have done for decades.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apologies if I've upset you Kerry.

There are many technologies in many areas of life that are decades old, relevant and useful, though not the last word. Oval chainrings are a useful option, that many find to work well. The naysayers, and I'm assuming you prefer that side of the debate, tend to talk in terms of black or white and absolutes. Technology rarely works in such clean ways.

I'd be interested to know if you've actually tried a modern oval ring, just to back up your opinion with some personal experience?

Cheers.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I rode those Shimano rings in 87 too, by way of a coincidence. Nevertheless, that concept wasn't oval.
Well, Biopace rings were just as "oval" as Osymetric - more so, really. The term doesn't really have any precise geometric meaning, and the various iterations of this idea over the years have varied considerably in shape. I think "non-round" is a much better and more descriptive term for the general concept.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
My TT bike is set up with the regular Q rings and have been for years. The 53 is in position 4 and the 39 is in position 3. I like the way I push the pedal while over the BB.

My road bike is set up with round rings after years on the Q's. Long story short I just think my peak sprint power is better with the round rings.

I often ride both bikes the same day. It takes a very short time to adjust to whatever shape ring I ride second. Which leads me to believe the body compensates in a way that from the hip on down your body sees the same thing.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Well, Biopace rings were just as "oval" as Osymetric - more so, really. The term doesn't really have any precise geometric meaning, and the various iterations of this idea over the years have varied considerably in shape. I think "non-round" is a much better and more descriptive term for the general concept.
My very first road bike had Bio-Pace. I swapped on the crankset after a few rides. The Bio-Pace cranks sat in my parts bin for twenty years. A couple of years ago I put it on ebay hoping for a couple of bucks. I was quite surprised that there was a lot of bidding on it

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
There are many technologies in many areas of life that are decades old, relevant and useful, though not the last word. Oval chainrings are a useful option, that many find to work well. The naysayers, and I'm assuming you prefer that side of the debate, tend to talk in terms of black or white and absolutes. Technology rarely works in such clean ways.

I'd be interested to know if you've actually tried a modern oval ring, just to back up your opinion with some personal experience?
You didn't upset me. You stated (in a black and white fashion) that oval chain rings offer benefits. I simply point out that this argument has been made for over 100 years and that oval chain rings never become common and interest fades.

I have never ridden oval chain rings of any shape. Note that every time they have come to market, "modern" oval rings have claimed to be an improvement over what obviously didn't work that well the last time. In my riding career, I've seen this roughly 4 times. It's made me a sceptic. Just like flat-proof tires, saddles with no noses, and several other repeating "innovations" I will wait for the market to render a decision before I make the investment. This philosophy has served me well for several decades.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Quality chainrings that shift well, are sufficiently stiff, and are durable are the best ones. Oval rings come and go, the argument for oval being good for mountain bikes, if this was true then biopace would have been improved upon instead of abandoned as the fad it was. If I put oval rings on my bike, I would feel a difference, might even see a difference, then my muscles would adapt to the pattern and the difference will be gone.

Pretty sure absoluteblack is a shill for his company. The products look high quality and I'm sure they work well within a drivetrain, but they're just another oval ring.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I'm holding out for square rings.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Wiggins was on them in 2012 Tour. He had since went back to round rings
Maybe they only work if you cycle "enhanced" on triamcinolone? Kind of like Lance and spinning up Alpe D'Huez...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts