Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What's your preference ?

• Solo

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • Regular Riding Partner (2/3 times a week)

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Part Time Riding Partner (Once a week)

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Hammer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went out to go visit my old riding partner who was always a blast to ride with. Can't believe it's been 7 years, man time flies by so quick. Most of my 41 years of riding have been as a solo rider, so what's your preference ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ3Sk-dZHQ

1. Solo
2. Regular Riding Partner (2/3 times a week)
3. Part Time Riding Partner (Once a week)
4. Other

Proud luddite
Totally solo for me. It's really the only time I have to be alone so I take that opportunity for solitude pretty seriously. It's therapeutic for me in a way. 馃檪

Registered
Mostly solo during the week except for some hour of power rides on Tuesday and Thursday. Then either group rides, team rides or races on the week ends.

Registered
Its a mix for me. Riding in a pace line is a lot of fun with the right group. On the other hand I like getting lost on new roads without really knowing where I'm going once and a while. Which I'm not going to drag someone else along with me in that case.

Backcountry mountain biking is best done with a riding partner at all times. You can end up dead pretty easy if you get injured alone.

Registered
Almost all solo...with music. I started getting up at 430am to get a 22 mile ride in before work...my God it's such a gr8 way to start the day.

Registered
pretty much always riding with my wife. Been two months since I rode without her - rode with a fast bunch of guys and gals instead that day

when I was young and single, I;d ride abotu half and half. Half with a buddy racer, ocne a week with club and half alone

Registered
I like riding with other people, and alone, but I've never had a "riding partner" as in riding with the same one other person on a regular basis. I don't think that would work out very well on long hilly rides

Hammer
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like riding with other people, and alone, but I've never had a "riding partner" as in riding with the same one other person on a regular basis. I don't think that would work out very well on long hilly rides
The good thing about Chris is we were close in our abilities. We both enjoyed playing on hills so it would become a slugfest on some of our hilly rides which made it a lot of fun, that's probably what I miss most.

Registered
I like somebody to talk to, but the only guy my speed moved away 26 years ago. The wheelman club goes 14-16 mph, and starts from a school 1/3 the way out my route. I don't drive anymore. I go about 9 and from 10 to 35 miles. The newby group at the bike shop around the corner goes about 6 and only about 10 miles.
I have to carry all my own repair equipment & supplies, there is no cell phone service out past mile 13 except 911, and the bike wouldn't fit in the wife's car anyway. I've walked back 15 miles to the last bus stop when I blew the spare tube instantly. Now I carry two. Clip shoes anybody? Not in my plan.

Darling of The Lounge
Before moving away a few years ago, I had the same steady riding partner for about 5 years. He was a Masters class rider, and would easily clean my clock on on the road. The only time I would have any advantage is when he was recovering from an illness or injury. We had similar interests in cars and politics aiding to make the conversation while pedaling the miles away interesting. We joked that we spent more time on the weekends together and with our spouses. As we parted ways at the end of the ride, we would plan the next one. This helped keep me focused, motivated and looking forward to more time in the saddle.

I haven't ridden in well over a year now and look back on those days as some of my best on the bike.

Registered
Before moving away a few years ago, I had the same steady riding partner for about 5 years. He was a Masters class rider, and would easily clean my clock on on the road. The only time I would have any advantage is when he was recovering from an illness or injury. We had similar interests in cars and politics aiding to make the conversation while pedaling the miles away interesting. We joked that we spent more time on the weekends together and with our spouses. As we parted ways at the end of the ride, we would plan the next one. This helped keep me focused, motivated and looking forward to more time in the saddle.

I haven't ridden in well over a year now and look back on those days as some of my best on the bike.
That's really cool. I ride solo all the time and it would be nice to find a riding partner like that to ride with once or twice a week.

Cycling Addict
I had a couple of good riding partners when I was younger. Dave and Don were twins and we were quite well matched in riding ability. All three didn't always ride together, but the triumvirate meant that two of us would usually be able to get a ride in on any day. We usually took spring break trips together (4-6 day loaded tours) and the three of us took a three week trip from Georgia to Virginia and back before our senior year in college.

Don got married the first year after graduation and so wasn't able to take any more tours with us. Dave and I rode from Seattle to Savannah in '85 and from Albuquerque to Denver in '88. He then got married and I moved to Olympia. I haven't had such a well matched riding partner since... but I still prefer to ride with one or two friends when possible. However, most of my riding is solo these days.

Registered
For me, it's pretty much equally divided between solo rides, rides with a few good friends, and group rides. Each has its advantages and charms.

So, I guess, "other". (Or: "all".)

Banned
When I ride alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Cooper1960
More and more and more solo. As a matter of fact I have become "that guy". The guy that shows up for the group ride but takes off early, or should I say takes off on time as the group waits for the late comers. I'm the guy that doesn't wait around at a rest stop while everyone scans their phones for those life changing messages they may have missed.

Maybe it's an age thing, at 56 I just want to enjoy my rides and to do that I like to ride by my agenda, not have my agenda dictated by others.

Registered
Solo is just pretty much the way it works out, with the demands of the other parts of life dictating when I can get in a ride, thus making it difficult to schedule something with another rider. I used to do organized or group rides a few times a year, but realized several years ago that I was doing it too infrequently to be safe to be around any more. I understand the dynamics of group riding and know the rules, but the reflexes for solo riding in traffic too often kicked in and made me do something that wasn't good for riders around me.

Anyway, I'm kind of a curmudgeon, so I probably wasn't such good company. I've been riding for almost 45 years, and I never really had a regular riding partner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts