Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece was having her 2nd birthday party on Saturday on her family's farm outside of Brownsville, OR, so I decided to ride there from my home in Albany 24 miles away. It was a beautiful day for a ride in the Willamette Valley, although by the time I arrived at my destination the mercury was topping 90 degrees F.

Photos:

1. Departing Albany heading south, with a light warm breeze at my back.

2. Crossing I-5.

3. I stopped at a garage sale in the country. It's a good thing I didn't have a cargo trailer or I might have bought that classic radio/record player console at far right. It was beautiful and only $15!

4. Bzzzzzzzzz. Bees keep busy pollenating clover. Do not ride past here with your mouth open.

5. Someone long ago decided that this tree was worth leaving in the middle of the farmland. It provided a nicy shady rest spot for me.

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6. This was the closest thing to a climb I experienced on this ride. Most of the valley is flat.

7. In the 1980s Brownsville, OR was the setting for the film Stand By Me, and it remains a quintessential American small town today.

8. Arriving at the farm, this horse was curious about my bike. I decided to find a new parking spot in case he took a liking to the taste of Brooks.

9. Lunch.

10. Dessert.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Cool photos, I love riding out on the flats for a nice spin. The afternoon was brutally hot yesterday, hope they didn't make you ride home. It was very close to 100 at one point I believe, too much of a change too quickly for my taste!

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my wife drove the van to the party, so I hitched the bike on the back of that for the trip home. Besides the near 100 F temps in the afternoon, I would have been riding straight into a 10-15mph hair dryer of a wind all the way home. Wimping out seemed like the best course of action.

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Nice Pictures. I love the beehives. I would have been really impressed if the bike was leaning against a hive.

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Walrus said:
That was one serious tree--how tall was that thing?
Pretty tall. I'm not real good at estimating such things and I forgot my tape measure. I'd guess that the tree was old growth or 100+ y.o. second growth. I found it interesting that farmers over the last 150 years have left it standing in the middle of the fields. Maybe they left it for remote shade for field workers.

In some respects the Willamette Valley is similar to the San Joaquin and Sacramento River Valleys, but it is significantly narrower, a bit cooler, and much wetter in the winter. To give an idea of how much narrower it is, the photo of I-5 looks east while the photo of the beehives looks west. Behind I-5 you can see the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, and behind the behives you can see the Coast Range. In the California central valleys there aren't a lot of places where you can see the hills on both sides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.