Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have at least one bulging disc that I know of (as the MRI shows.) I think I may have another. I ride and the only problem I have is soreness. This is not a problem for me: I rather be sore and ride that not sore and not ride. However, I am concerned about any potential long term consequences. Can anyone share a little bit of wisdom on this subject?

If you have a slipped disc, herniated disc..., whatever and you've been riding for a while with it, what have the effects been?
Thanks much

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'm not sure WHAT's going on in my back...

Mike_nyc1 said:
I have at least one bulging disc that I know of (as the MRI shows.) I think I may have another. I ride and the only problem I have is soreness. This is not a problem for me: I rather be sore and ride that not sore and not ride. However, I am concerned about any potential long term consequences. Can anyone share a little bit of wisdom on this subject?

If you have a slipped disc, herniated disc..., whatever and you've been riding for a while with it, what have the effects been?
Thanks much
...so I'm going to tag along for the ride.

I think I did the "clean and jerk" on my motorcycle the wrong way. I've had progressively worsening problems since Nov. I can stand, lift, etc. everything but bend over forwards.

I've taken to running more and riding less. Its a bummer 'cause track season's starting soon!

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mike_nyc1 said:
Thanks much
I actually got into cycling because of back problems. I have two herniated disks and narrowing of the spinal column in my lower back. The things I did to stay in shape when younger (basketball, running, etc) became too hard on my back. I am able to ride with less discomfort, but it's still a problem. There are days I have to get off the bike to stretch every 30 minutes or so, but there are days when it feels great. My back definitely feels better as I ride into better shape. It helps me to spin smaller gears. The more I ride, the more flexible my back becomes, and the less sciatica I experience. I still have a bit of atrophy in one calf, but cycling has improved this dramatically.

I should say, though, that all backs are different. What helps one may hurt another. Trial and error is the only way to figure this out, I've found.

I'm not in as good shape now as I should be, but that is because I am lazy, not because of my back.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was diagnosed by several docs as having slipped/herniated discs and was told I'd probably never ride again (this was after 10+ years of riding pretty much every day). 2+ years of pain and misery and no riding. Saw all the PTs, etc. Then I read this book and was back on my bike two weeks later. Been pain free for 5+ years. Even ride my hardtail on these nasty root-infested Northwest trails. No problems.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446392308

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
If you were to give everyone over the age of 40

Mike_nyc1 said:

Thanks much
An MRI, most of them would show evidence of a herniated disc. It's the nature of the beast in humans. I have several, but they're not my limiting factor, it's the arthritis. Different people react differently to cycling because there are so many potential causes for back problems. For some, cycling helps, others it hurts. What I know is that staying fit, exercising regularly, stretching and strengthening the core muscles, especially the abs, is good. Let your pain be your guide. When it's too much, back off, but don't quit some type of exercise entirely.

I've been living with herniated discs and arthritis for over 12 years. I ride more now than ever before (both kids out of college, too :)). If anything, riding has made it easier to deal with back problems, mainly because it gives you a reason to WANT to overcome them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
I was diagnosed by several docs as having slipped/herniated discs and was told I'd probably never ride again (this was after 10+ years of riding pretty much every day). 2+ years of pain and misery and no riding. Saw all the PTs, etc. Then I read this book and was back on my bike two weeks later. Been pain free for 5+ years. Even ride my hardtail on these nasty root-infested Northwest trails. No problems.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446392308
I took a look. I'll pick it up. Thanks,
mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seems like most of you, after years of experiencing this, are dealing with back pain much the way I have been recently: Ride and don't give in. Perhaps, as is the case with some, cycling will actually help with the back and all. I've heard that as well.
Thanks for the input,
mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts