Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ride with one ear plug in, on the non road side medium volume in pretty light traffic. I do the same especially when I'm on bike/running trail. I did this on a cross country trip and I still do it now on my daily rides. If I'm in heavy traffic I pull the plug out of my ear though. Its all about balance and vigilance, no matter what traffic laws are or who's fault it is, its you who gets hurt in an accident. Be careful.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have a friend that rides group rides with us. She rides with both earphones in. She can never hear the warnings called out in the group. When some calls car back, she stays out near the centerline. If anybody in that group ever gets run over, it will most likely be her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jd3 said:
I have a friend that rides group rides with us. She rides with both earphones in. She can never hear the warnings called out in the group. When some calls car back, she stays out near the centerline. If anybody in that group ever gets run over, it will most likely be her.
Why not get a helmet mirror or handle bar mirror?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Although I don't ride in packs with music in both ears, the safety issue regarding hearing is way overrated. I think it is nearly as safe riding with music as it is without music. I know several deaf riders and they ride in packs just fine. Yes, there is a difference, but it is not that great.

There are many other things most people do or don't do that are more dangerous than riding with music in both ears. For example, too many packs blow though stop signs and red lights. People goof off in packs. Getting a drink in a pack is more dangerous than music. Hand signals and audio warnings are also overrated.

Based on the above, I see no reason not to listen to music in at least one ear, or in both at lower volumes.

·
What? Me worry?
815 Posts
The safety issue is one people will debate so long as there is a musical appliance that plugs into the human ear.

What I don't understand is why people find the need for more stimulation than a good bike ride provides. If riding is so unpleasant or uninspiring then perhaps those who feel the need to insulate themselves from its sensations should seek another form of exercise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would never ride in a pace line or group with someone wearing earphones. Maybe it's just me, but I am cautious when riding my bike on the road. Maybe, as someone posted, the earphone/hearing thing is overrated. However, I can't see that there is even a question that it is inherently safer for the rider and others around him/her if he/she can hear.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Here we go again...

I recommend using the search function to look for iPod threads. There are about 20 / week. And basically what it boils down to is this. Do you want to ride with one listening to music or don't you? If you do, there are risks about it, but then again, there are risks about walking down the street, driving your car, or showering that are greater than riding with an iPod. There are some who will try to sell you on the "soulfulness" of cycling, and how having music in your ears ruins that. There are some who are convinced that if you go out of doors, on your bike, with your iPod playing, and not wearing a helmet, you are going to instantly fall down, crack your skull, get hit by a car from behind and DIE!

Really, as I said, it boils down to do you want to do it or not? Not what us Bozos say about it.

For the record, I have been riding with walkman / iPod devices in my ears for about, oh, 15 years or so, and have not once had an accident because of those devices playing music for me while riding.

·
Registered
263 Posts
never on group rides, always on training rides. I use Etymotic in the ear buds. They block out most of the wind noise which allow me to run the volume fairly low. i can still hear cars and trucks approaching from behind, not that it matters much. If someone is going to hit me from behind, it doesn't matter if I can hear them coming or not.

jake

·
Registered
78 Posts
Riding in a group with earbuds in, while not the safest thing, is also extremely rude. Why ride with a group just to ignore them?

Riding alone with earbuds is a different matter. This is probably just rationalizing it, but I've always believed that if you're holding your line as far to the right as possible, what difference does it make if you have earbuds in or not? If a car is going to take you out in that scenario, hearing it at the last second is not going to help much. I will note that anytime I approach another rider, I take the earbuds out, warn the rider I'm approaching - try to say something friendly - and then don't put them back in until I'm sure he/she's not drafting.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
one of the issues with ipod usage...

...is that people still do all the dangerous things you say, just with ipods now.

also, if cyclist have to abide by the same laws as cars, headphones are illegal.

Tschai said:
There are many other things most people do or don't do that are more dangerous than riding with music in both ears. For example, too many packs blow though stop signs and red lights. People goof off in packs. Getting a drink in a pack is more dangerous than music. Hand signals and audio warnings are also overrated.

Based on the above, I see no reason not to listen to music in at least one ear, or in both at lower volumes.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
you will surely die if you ride with an Ipod.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.