Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ridley Carbon X-Trail vs Salsa Carbon Warbird

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  atpjunkie 
#1 ·
Hi all. Does anyone have any thought about the relative strengths, weaknesses of these two rides for some dirt and gravel road riding, some riding around town, occasional quick forays across local parks, etc etc etc? I'm not too interested in the details of components, just the handling of the frame and fork.

#4 ·
I'm not sure about the Ridley, but I have a friend who recently bought the Warbird Rival build and he really likes it, he does long gravel rides and marathon mountain bike events, says the Salsa is really comfortable. I thought about getting one myself as a gravel bike/rain-wet weather training bike --since the new one will take fenders, and I could get a decent 20% discount through a team discount at a local shop, but I decided to pay more on a nice steel Gunnar HyperX with a mostly rival Hydro build, still waiting on my new bike. The Salsa Rival hydro build is a good deal, though I prefer a 46/36 crank instead of a 50/34, but that would be easy enough to have changed probably at the shop if you asked nice, the Ultegra Hydro build that is $1,000 more doesn't seem to be quite as good a deal, though it does also have upgraded wheels and cockpit compared to rival build

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.