Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After getting a professional fitting consultation I have determined that I have a very strange body- long legs and a short torso and arms. Its been a downright nightmare trying to find a bike that will fit me well. But I have finally come up with a shortlist, and I will buy one of these, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

Clonago CLX 2.0 Ultegra Fulcrum R5's for $AU4300
Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra Shimano RS80's for $AU 4300 (w/ FSA bb30)
Cannnondale CAAD9 Dura Ace RS80's for $AU 3500 (w/ FSA bb30)
Ridley Damocles Ultegra Fulcrum R5's for $AU4400
Ridley Excalibur Ultegra Fulcrum R5's for $AU3800

They are all FIT, but as of yet no one will let me test ride one and its very hard to pick one. I Race A-Grade and want a racing/training bike that will handle 400-500km of riding a week. I'm leaning towards the Supersix, but I'm worried about durability and well, the BB30 cranks. Heard they are a problem

Any thoughts? Help me Choose! :)

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Ridley Damocles

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Those are all great bikes, but I am struggling to understand why the Cannondales are even in the running. Both of those Cannondale bikes don't belong there because for one, the CAAD 9 is all aluminum, then the SystemSix is part aluminum. The other bikes are way better in my opinion. I would go with the Ridley or Colnago.

If you are in the market for an aluminum bike, then by all means...the Cannondales are great bikes.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What is "A-Grade" racing? It's kind of curious that you race at what sounds like a high level, have just learned your fit, and as a result of finding out you have "very strange body" you're looking at bikes with cookie cutter goe designed for the masses.....but whatever.

If A-grade racing involves a good chance of crashes I'd get the CAAD9 and keep the extra $1000 around incase I got the urge to get better wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers. A grade is the highest club level hear in Australia. I've been riding on a stock cannondale caad8 for the last couple of years with ultegra, size 56 running a 100mm stem. It felt good, but upon being positioned correctly and trying a shorter overall reach during my bike fit, it felt much better.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I see. So you're probably going to beat on your bike pretty good. I'm not one of these carbon paranoid guys but I'd still get the CAAD9. Not necessarily because I think that thin aluminum would survive a crash better than quality carbon but because it'll be much less a financial set-back if it does happen.

I think the Super Six is the best bike here and the Ridley Damocles is right there with it.....but it's a matter of if you're willing to put that nice/expensive a bike on the line for the type of riding you do. I guess only you can figure that out. Perhaps you could check on Ridley's and Cannondale's crash replacement policy as that might impact your decision.

For what it's worth I have a CAAD9 and a higher end carbon bike that could probably be compared to Supersix and Domacles and the carobon bike is a nicer ride, there's no question. But the difference isn't night and day....they are in the same ballpark.

Thinking ahead if you do get the CAAD9 and decide it was a mistake you'd at least still have the DA stuff and only need to buy the frame. Not suggesting that's a wise plan to do intentionally but it does offer a little bail out room.
Anyway good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy on any of them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ridley

+1 for the ridley. I also have long legs compared to my torso. My legs want a 58cm seat tube, but my upper body wants a 55cm top tube. Bike companies just don't make that with out going full custom. However, I just bought a Ridley Damocles and I have to say, it fits better than any bike I've ever had. The slightly sloping geometry and the taller head tube help compensate for my short torso. The ride is sublime as well, and it is super stiff. If your still unsure about it, ask Pozzato, he rode one all year long.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I test rode a Noah and loved it, but the ride was harsh, and to me was unsuitable for long training miles. Of course the Damocles could be different, but I’d ride one beforehand to make sure. I have a caad9 and raced a SuperSix for half a season, a great bike and very comfortable given its stiffness. With a short torso however I would recommend going a size smaller and using longer stem on these bikes, as a short stem with them is not ideal since the front center is very short to begin with. Mine also made an annoying creaking sound coming out the BB area which was never solved, and the paint cracked a little at the BB, though this was only cosmetic. The bike was destroyed in a crash, and was basically broken in two through the center of the top and down tubes. It would have destroyed any carbon bike, though maybe not in such spectacular fashion. However with any of these super thin walled high modulus frames that can happen.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I was going to suggest a whole lot of options until I read "race".

I agree with Hank S, get the CAAD9 so if/when you crash, you won't be out as much.

My favorite out of your list would be the Colnago, even though I think the Damocles would be a better race bike.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've riden all of those bikes. And we sell all three brands at the shop.
Ridley's are nice, but are meh IMO. I've owned more than a couple, so don't pile on like I don't know what I'm talking about.
The CLX 2.0 rides real nice, and looks real good. But the geo is nowhere near what the CAAD/SuperSix is. Way taller head tube on it. Not that you can't race it, but you won't be able to get it as agressive as you would the C-Dale. That said, I always try to point people in the direction of a taller head tube for more comfort. Most people only race their bike for less than 3% of the total amount time that they spend on the bike over the course of ownership. So why not be comfotable for the other 97% of the time.
I think the "best" bike is the SuperSix, the nicest bike is the CLX 2.0, and the bike you should buy is the CAAD9. Don't race what you can't replace.
The CAAD is plenty stiff, plenty light, and is easily replaceable.
But the CAAD10 should be out in about 4 weeks, so why not wait for that?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Damocles or Excal. Damocles is more solid. Good race bikes, even better "value" that can often be found on "special" or "close out" online. Competative Cyclist..maybe Excel sports Boulder...I forget which. I agree, the Noah I have is uncomfortably stiff for really long rough pavement training days, but is hell for fast, especially on power sprints and ~50mph long descents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts