Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ridley Compact ????

I am thinking of getting a Ridley Compact frameset to build up and was wonsering if anyone had any opinions on the Ridley Compact? I currenlty ride an Orbea Onix and love it, but just have an itch for an aluminum bike to compliment the Onix. Sizing appears to be very close, but looking for comments on ride stiffness and general comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had a compact for over a year and now use it as my rain bike. Plenty stiff, no serious flexing coming out of corners for a sprint or really pushing it in a corner. It's not as compliant as the bike it replaced C'dale CAAD8. While the C'dale rear was very good at soaking up those "road imperfections" the compact transfers those bumps right through the seatstays to your ass! :eek: It can make a very tiring ride for 50+ milers, so much so that you'll notice yourself getting out of the saddle a bit when you go over bumps. One more thing, if you live in the land of crap roads (like Seattle) criterium racing can be a bit hairy as the compacts stiffness tends to "pop" the rear wheel off the pavement when hitting bumps in corners. I have not crashed because of it, but it definitely keeps people off your wheel! All in all I'd call it a great crit bike, or a good shorter ride bike depending on how good your shorts & saddle combo is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.