Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeing the Ridley Compact on the CC website since I'm thinking of trying out some racing in the near future and would like something a bit more current, with modern components and lighter than my current '96 Bianchi Campione d'Italia. Carbon would be nice but I'd like to get in a bit cheaper.

Any pros/cons I should be on the lookout for?
Similar complete bikes in the $1500 range?

Thanks in advance.

· the fist
13,728 Posts
empty_set said:
I've been eyeing the Ridley Compact on the CC website since I'm thinking of trying out some racing in the near future and would like something a bit more current, with modern components and lighter than my current '96 Bianchi Campione d'Italia. Carbon would be nice but I'd like to get in a bit cheaper.

Thanks in advance.
I don't race.

BUT I think this is a smashing deal from CC. It looks to be a very capable frame set & cheap (making a racing loss more bearable).
I would drop the Ridley fork and spend a nother 99$ on one of these alpha Q forks to get a little weight savings back (just put one on my BMC): http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALPHA-Q-GS1...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ead3c9aba

For that price, one could put the extra $$ into wheels, too.

The only other bike close to that range is this (limited to size Large only): http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-excalibur-sram-rival-complete-bike-4957.html

or
this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=6950

Anyway, I think you would be hard pressed to find a much better deal than the Ridley.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
JohnHenry said:
I don't race.

BUT I think this is a smashing deal from CC. It looks to be a very capable frame set & cheap (making a racing loss more bearable).
I would drop the Ridley fork and spend a nother 99$ on one of these alpha Q forks to get a little weight savings back (just put one on my BMC): http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALPHA-Q-GS1...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ead3c9aba

For that price, one could put the extra $$ into wheels, too.

The only other bike close to that range is this (limited to size Large only): http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-excalibur-sram-rival-complete-bike-4957.html

or
this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=6950

Anyway, I think you would be hard pressed to find a much better deal than the Ridley.
Yeah, take off the stiff fork that was spec'd with the bike and put on a fork that's, well, let's say not so stiff, and leave it at that...

:thumbsup: :mad2:

· Registered
219 Posts
empty_set said:

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone bought the whole bike from CC? I like Rival stuff and Easton wheels are
good trainers for me.

I had the '07 Excalibur from CC. The small ran about the size of the medium in this Compact. The Excalibur was a great bike.

· the fist
13,728 Posts
rsosborn said:
Has anyone bought the whole bike from CC? I like Rival stuff and Easton wheels are
good trainers for me.

I had the '07 Excalibur from CC. The small ran about the size of the medium in this Compact. The Excalibur was a great bike.
I was hoping someone would buy it and give a review...
I am trying my personal best to not buy it. I have just about everything for it.:mad2:

· Registered
32 Posts
rsosborn said:
I may be the one pulling the trigger. It's cheap enough and I've had other Ridley's.
I'll make a move on next paycheck. (15th)
I think I'm going to buy a Excalibur on closeout from CC. It's just too amazing of a deal to pass up. I was also considering the BMC SL01 Rival but I seem to read about way too many cracks in BMC frames on this website! It's too bad I was really excited about getting that orange and white stunner for a song.

This will be my first road bike (I'm a MTBR). Is there any difference between the '07 that's on sale and the current model? Other than paint color, carbon dropouts, and about $1700?

· Registered
219 Posts
billips1002 said:
I think I'm going to buy a Excalibur on closeout from CC. It's just too amazing of a deal to pass up. I was also considering the BMC SL01 Rival but I seem to read about way too many cracks in BMC frames on this website! It's too bad I was really excited about getting that orange and white stunner for a song.

This will be my first road bike (I'm a MTBR). Is there any difference between the '07 that's on sale and the current model? Other than paint color, carbon dropouts, and about $1700?

If they had one in a small, I'd have one. Solid downtubes. Huge headtube. One amazing frameset.

· Registered
32 Posts
As if it wasn't tempting enough to buy one of the closeout special bikes from Competitive Cyclist...

Last night in another thread I saw a post stating that you could use promo code TDF22 when ordering from CC and get an additional 15% off your entire purchase. So I went on there and sure enough, I got an additional 15% off.

I bought a Ridley Excalibur Large w/ Rival gruppo, a Pearl Izumi full zip short sleeve jersey, a Fizik seatbag, 2 Arundel Dave-O bottle cages, and 2 CC water bottles for a just under $1660 including freight. I couldn't find a used Madone or Tarmac/Roubaix on Ebay selling for less than $1900-$2000 so I think I made a great deal on this purchase.

I also bought some Ultegra 6700 pedals and Shimano shoes off Amazon. I wanted to go with Speedplay pedals but I was concerned that they would have compatibility issues with the shoes I was considering. I think the PD-6700 pedals are pretty popular so I doubt I'll have any regrets there.

I heard that the TDF22 promo code is good until 7/26 but I can't vouch for that...

I can't wait to get my new machine!

· Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rsosborn said:
I may be the one pulling the trigger. It's cheap enough and I've had other Ridley's.
I'll make a move on next paycheck. (15th)
I'm still eyeing the Compact. Was on vacation and didn't want it to ship while I was out of town. I think I'd go for a large Compact but a medium Excalibur (which is no longer in stock in that size).

· Registered
14 Posts
billips1002 said:
As if it wasn't tempting enough to buy one of the closeout special bikes from Competitive Cyclist...

Last night in another thread I saw a post stating that you could use promo code TDF22 when ordering from CC and get an additional 15% off your entire purchase. So I went on there and sure enough, I got an additional 15% off.

I bought a Ridley Excalibur Large w/ Rival gruppo, a Pearl Izumi full zip short sleeve jersey, a Fizik seatbag, 2 Arundel Dave-O bottle cages, and 2 CC water bottles for a just under $1660 including freight. I couldn't find a used Madone or Tarmac/Roubaix on Ebay selling for less than $1900-$2000 so I think I made a great deal on this purchase.

I also bought some Ultegra 6700 pedals and Shimano shoes off Amazon. I wanted to go with Speedplay pedals but I was concerned that they would have compatibility issues with the shoes I was considering. I think the PD-6700 pedals are pretty popular so I doubt I'll have any regrets there.

I heard that the TDF22 promo code is good until 7/26 but I can't vouch for that...

I can't wait to get my new machine!
Thank you for the code, that made my decision for me, I just bought the BMC SL01, I added the same bottle cages and water bottles, also adeed Speedplay pedals, I think most shoes will work with them.

· Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
I picked up a Compact last week to use as a crit bike and a poorer-weather bike. My other roadie is a Cervelo S2. I've had 4 rides on the Ridley now, including a couple fast group rides and and a couple of easier rides.

It's got a more smooth ride than some of the other aluminum bikes I've been on and is actually fairly snappy. I think that the big tube shapes contribute to the responsive ride as well as the shorter wheel base. It does feel more sluggish on a longer, steeper climb, but isn't terrible. One thing I like about my S2 is the fact that the angles are fairly consistent across all sizes, which is nice for me being a shorter guy; the seat angle on the Compact is steeper, so it took me a little more playing around to get it feeling dialed in. I do feel only a slight bit more of the rougher road surface than I do on the S2, but that could have just been the terrain I rode as well.

In all, I'm really pleased with the purchase and think it's a fantastic value. My choice was to either buy this, a Cervelo S1, or a Giant TCA Alliance. I was going to buy the S1 or Giant simply for shop loyalty, but they couldn't get either in for a while. Now I'm glad that they couldn't. I'll enjoy riding the compact as much as I enjoy riding the S2 (other than the components......Rival is fantastic, but I do notice a marked improvement with the Force I have on the S2.). I'll be trying my Zipp 303s on the Compact later this week and may post an update on ride quality after that.

~Jason

· Registered
9 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Yeah, take off the stiff fork that was spec'd with the bike and put on a fork that's, well, let's say not so stiff, and leave it at that...

:thumbsup: :mad2:
Team CSC (including Fabian Cancellara) preferred the Alpha Q forks on Cervelo frames... So I doubt the Alpha Q's are flexy. The R3 is one of the stiffest (lateral and torsional) frames on the market; and the Alpha Q apparently was very compatible with the frame.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.