Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 Days: 15,25,40miles on Ridley Excalibur (Large) Dura Ace

Best bike I've ridden, a clear difference vs the other high end bikes for me personally. My friend owns a road bike shop, so I have access to rides on many different bikes. They all have slight differences that separate them from each other and their are personal favorites for everyone but this is the best I've ridden to date. It fit me best and was more stiff, yet forgiving and as fast as any of the others I've tested

my rides the past 6mo or so include: Look 585, Cannondale Six13 (my everyday bike), Cervelo Superprodigy, Time, Scott CRF? and a few others

They all have simple qualities that separate them from each other but the Ridley Excalibur is clearly the best I've ridden, it stands out and is a bike I want to ride daily

I always liked the fact the Belgium riders were the biggest of the bunch and their roads were crappy, so strong/sturdy bikes from Ridley were designed for larger riders and not the best ridding conditions. I'm a big dude (215) and my first ride on a Ridley was clearly a bike I want and will own

One will be ordered for me on Monday and my Cannondale Six13 will be sold. The Six13 showed worthy with the others I've ridden but the Ridley will replace it.

· Banned
657 Posts
HBPUNK said:
3 Days: 15,25,40miles on Ridley Excalibur (Large) Dura Ace

Best bike I've ridden, a clear difference vs the other high end bikes for me personally. My friend owns a road bike shop, so I have access to rides on many different bikes. They all have slight differences that separate them from each other and their are personal favorites for everyone but this is the best I've ridden to date. It fit me best and was more stiff, yet forgiving and as fast as any of the others I've tested
One will be ordered for me on Monday and my Cannondale Six13 will be sold. The Six13 showed worthy with the others I've ridden but the Ridley will replace it.
So post a photo please or a link. I've never heard of one.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Did you know there's actually a

:rolleyes:

· Banned
2,767 Posts
ravenmore said:
to be honest the frame looks exactly like a Scott CR1 frame. I'd be curious to check the stats/geometries of both frames to see if they're identical.
Well it's not a CR1, BUT Ridley has had quite a few quality control issues. HBPUNK might want to search RBR or Weight Weenies archives for threads on that. By all accounts, Ridley has been really responsive to the issues....

· Registered
65 Posts
Cycling Plus (UK publication) likes the Ridley Crossbow (Feb '06, page 94).

In case anyone wants to check out a review of (what I'm guessing is) a similar bike.

· Registered
57 Posts
It's similar in appearance to the Scott but there are definite differences. The downtube on the Ridley is massive, and by that I mean bigger than big and this is possible because of the other big difference, and the reason why most bigger guys aroudn 200lbs will like the bike is because of it's unique fork. The lower half of the fork uses a 1.5" integrated headset while the top half uses a conventional 1 1/8" integrated headset. This means the fork is much larger at the point where flex is most noticeable and thus rides much stiffer/straighter. The larger lower headtube means a larger and untapered downtube can be used than on average bikes. I've ridden the Excaliber too, and am a big guy, and would have to agree it's a fantastic, if not one of the best bikes for larger riders wanting something that performs well, handles well, and is a performance machine. Many manufacturers forget that some guys are just "big" but still want a nice bike.

· Banned
657 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
How does it compare to damocles?

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm currently on a steel bike I love (landshark), but in a few years, I'll probably be jonesing for carbon (well, I am now, but don't want to spend the cash).

I'm a big dude (195-210lbs), and am wondering how the excalibur and damocles compare, other than about 800 bucks.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
venus said:
Us pros have other sources.
Those "other sources" apparently entail asking someone to post a pic. Highly professional.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.