Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if I did okay. I don't work in the industry (haven't since 2001) so I don't have prodeal access. I thought this was a pretty darn good deal.

2007 Ridley Excalibur with full Dura-Ace, 4ZA carbon post, FSA RD200 bars and alloy stem, and Selle San Marco Aspide saddle but no wheels, since I wanted to put on Neuvation R28SL5's instead of Dura Ace/Open Pro's. $200 credit to pull the wheelset from the $2599 original price.

I paid $2399 + tax

I'm aware of the $2k deal with Rival but didn't have my size (S).

· Registered
1,418 Posts
runner0382 said:
Just curious if I did okay. I don't work in the industry (haven't since 2001) so I don't have prodeal access. I thought this was a pretty darn good deal.

2007 Ridley Excalibur with full Dura-Ace, 4ZA carbon post, FSA RD200 bars and alloy stem, and Selle San Marco Aspide saddle but no wheels, since I wanted to put on Neuvation R28SL5's instead of Dura Ace/Open Pro's. $200 credit to pull the wheelset from the $2599 original price.

I paid $2399 + tax

I'm aware of the $2k deal with Rival but didn't have my size (S).
you did well
I spend more than that, mine's setup w/ Campy Chorus and Easton Orion wheels, but very similar.

You'll love the bike - handles well, solid, comfortable. It's an excellent bike.
I race crits, commute, and ride centuries on mine. It's really versatile

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I didn't have to test ride it very long to find all its merits. I built up a Fuji Team RC carbon frame with 2001 Ultegra for a few weeks and just wasn't that excited about it. I figured if I were spending $1000 and hadn't had a new road bike in 7 years that I should enjoy it, so I flipped it and sold it, basically making $500.

I went a bit off the deep end but knew the deal was pretty damn good and the bike seems to do everything well. My biggest concern moving from lightweight Alu was impact absorption and the Ridley, though stiff, does this very, very well. It's hard to believe the combination of complicance and stiffness they've built into this frame. And flex? Where?

At least now I've got Dura Ace that'll be worth something for a long time and a frame that's much more highly valued, and most importantly, something I'm really happy with.

· Registered
82 Posts
Ridley

Those are 07 Ridley Excalibur's and it is still a very good deal, since the new frame alone is 1700. I didn't see any Ridley Damocles on sale at Competitive Cyclist and I can't beleive anybody is going to let a new 08 Damocles go for 2600 and I don't care what group is on it! The new frame is 2200 by itself. So go ahead and tell me where you got the new 08Damocles for 2600.

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Rot Wiess Essen said:
Those are 07 Ridley Excalibur's and it is still a very good deal, since the new frame alone is 1700. I didn't see any Ridley Damocles on sale at Competitive Cyclist and I can't beleive anybody is going to let a new 08 Damocles go for 2600 and I don't care what group is on it! The new frame is 2200 by itself. So go ahead and tell me where you got the new 08Damocles for 2600.
Call the folks at Competitive Cyclist and tell them your dilemma how the Excaliburs only come in the medium size whereas you need a large. That’s what I did. Here is the $2,600.00 gem on the day it arrived:

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
runner0382 said:
Funny, compeitive cycles said they couldn't do anything to help! Oh well. Great looking bike!
They “made an exception” since their online ordering system allowed me to place an order for a large-sized Excalibur, when in fact they had (have) no large frames on hand. So they cut me a deal. I happily jumped on that. Shhhhhh— don’t tell my wife I ended spent $600 more than I was supposed to have! (the Excalibur was $2,000)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.