Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying one.Getting mixed reviews on which one to get.I dont like the one piece seatpost thing so that leaves me between the Excalibur or Democles.I prefer a stiffer less flexy frame and one review will say the Ex is stiffer and the next will say the Dem is stiffer, my weight is 190 and 5'11" with pretty strong legs,dont want a noodle.Also sizing help would be appreciated.Ride a Merckx with a 57 top tube now,traditional frame. Want some real world opinions,Thanks

· Registered
988 Posts
Neither frame is a noodle and both are stiff in real world terms. The excalibur is a bit lighter and favoured by Cadel and co before the Helium came about - Sprinters such a Robbie prefered the Damo so base your decision on type of cycling you do if you do lots of climbing then go for Excalibur and if you go for str8 line speed and sprinting then go for Damo there is only 150g between them anyway. Which merckx do you have?

· Registered
988 Posts
Geometry for both frames is the same as is the case for all sloping tube frames in Ridley range so size M which is a 56.5 should be the right one for you.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Merckx Team SC. The bike is great but maybe time for something new,like to stick with a Belgium bike. Weight is not an issue,dont care about an extra few grams,rather have a slightly heavier frame that transfers power well and can handle the test of time.Your probably right when you say both would meet my expectations for stiffness and not be "noodles",but wanted to get opinions from guys who have ridden them, instead of a bike shop trying to sell one or the other because they need to clear the floor.

· Registered
19 Posts
One of the Coolest things about the Damocles

One of the coolest things about the Damocles is the holes in the lower head tube to run your shift cables through that help protect the frames paint. I hate nothing more than getting a beautiful new frame and having a bunch of paint/clear coat scratches on the head tube, or B) putting a bunch of clear tape on the head tube to protect it from scratches that will eventually pick up dirt and look like crap. It's a really small detail, but a nice one. If I were picking, honestly, that small detail would be one deciding factor. Check out some pics of the frame, if you can't see it in person, and you will see what I am talking about.As far as the frames' rides, I've ridden both and liked them both. I did like the Damocles paint and tube shape better. Similar geometry and performance, although, I'm no huge sprinter so i can't comment on flex. But hey, if it works for McEwen, and you can flex it...You need to be riding on a sponsors bike and getting paid for it. Either way, you can't go wrong.

· Registered
988 Posts
Prunepit - how about a detailed review of your Team SC, I hear they are a pretty nice ride.

If weight is not a concern then go for Damo, its a really nice ride and I think has a faster straight line speed - many have compared it to a 585 and some even prefer it to a 585 which is one of the great all rounders so I am sure you'd be happy with it. Of course at 1250 its not heavy just heavier than Excalibur which is 1100g and about the same as your current frame.

· Registered
139 Posts
Here is my two cents albiet a newly minted two cents.

I have had my Ex for a month and love it. I came from a very stout aluminum frame and jumped at the Competitive Cyclist Excalibur package deal. The frame is stiff, but not harsh like the aluminum. I am about your same size (height and weight) and have a medium fits great.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advise guys,agree with you nucks that the Damo paint is nice and that cable run though the head tube is a nice detail.Im definetly not a world class sprinter,just an aging fat ass with a little bit of strength left and still like a stiffer frame,but looking forward to the vibration dampening of qualities carbon for my old bones .Leaning toward the Damo because of the things you mention,paint,tube shape and little details,Also like the straight fork look. Toon-the TeamSC is a real nice ride,not a good crit frame but can do the job.Geometry of it lends for a nice road race frame or century bike.I came off of a Klien Quantum and Cannondale before so its ride is real nice compared to that.Havent ridin carbon yet so I dont know how it is different but the Scandium is a little softer than aluminum.For crits I still ride the Cannondale, if gets trashed I wont care so much.Use the Merckx as my long ride,pretty bike and it does that well.

· Registered
219 Posts
toonraid said:
Geometry for both frames is the same as is the case for all sloping tube frames in Ridley range so size M which is a 56.5 should be the right one for you.
i'm riding a orbea orca 54 cm, with a 55cm top tube. would a ridley medium (56.5 tt) be too big? they're sold out of smalls.

· Registered
988 Posts
Depends on how you have your current bike set up - I think the 54 Orca has a HT length of 152 where as the Ridleys have a length of 145 & 175 for size S & M respectively
basically it means that on a size M you will add 22mm of stack height which is ok if you have 30mm of spacers under your stem but not ok of you only have 15 mm as your bar will sit higher. Of course the other consideration is the overall horizontal size on the M size Ridley. You have to see if it is possible to compensate the added 15 mm in TT length through shortening the stem and/or saddle position. e.g. if you are using a 130 or 120 stem then it would be ok to go with a smaller stem (i don't like to use less than 100mm).

· Registered
64 Posts
rsosborn said:
i just wrote CC. has anyone heard if the july 1st shipping date was still valid?
I called CC earlier this afternoon (PST). I was told the freight was being unloaded as we spoke and the person estimated shipping via UPS would occur either tomorrow or Monday 7/7.
Once I receive a tracking number from UPS, think a PTO day will be calendared!:thumbsup:

· Registered
24 Posts
i've been waiting too. yesterday their online order status still said expected to ship 7/1, at about 11pm eastern, i checked one last time and it said 7/7. this morning it had changed to 7/3. now (just came from their site) it is 7/1 again. :mad2:

i emailed them yesterday morning and they still have not replied. planning to call them after work today, will update then if i hear anything.

i placed my order june 14, what about you?

· Registered
219 Posts
mrossing said:
i emailed them yesterday morning and they still have not replied. planning to call them after work today, will update then if i hear anything.

i placed my order june 14, what about you?
ouch. i placed my order on the 27th.

both a phone call and an email yesterday from them said they should ship today
or monday.

· Registered
24 Posts
mrossing said:
i've been waiting too. yesterday their online order status still said expected to ship 7/1, at about 11pm eastern, i checked one last time and it said 7/7. this morning it had changed to 7/3. now (just came from their site) it is 7/1 again. :mad2:

this is really getting amusing-- a couple hours after my previous post, their website change back to an expected ship date of 7/3, then an email from them said "in the next few days at the latest" and this evening, expected ship date of 7/1 again.

i guess we'll see when they actually send shipping confirmation emails (which i unfortunately have not received yet). truly i don't really care about having to wait a little to get a great bike at such an awesome deal, the thing that does kind of bug me is that their ads have said "all sizes in stock" for at least the last week to ten days, when they really didn't have them in stock until yesterday.

· Registered
2 Posts
Prunepit, bit of a delay from your original question re Ridleys but thought my experience might be helpful. I've ridden a L Specialized S-Works SL for the past couple of seasons (56.5 TT) and am 1.83m and weigh 71kg, really liked the frame. Also have a Time VXR.

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 07 model Ridley Helium in M (at half RRP!), again this has a 56.5 TT, but its headtube is approx 2cm longer than the Specialized. I was a bit anxious about the ISP, but having ridden this for a couple of weeks I would recommend this. The ride of the Helium is incredible - stiff and responsive, yet much more comfortable than the Specialized. I thought the ISP might have meant a less forgiving ride, but it has actually been the opposite - the ride quality is fantastic. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
I have a Damo and a Noah, my wife has an Excal. The Ridleys run larger for their designated sizes..I ride a Medium Ridley. Being 6', I am right at the top of the medium size with the 56.5tt..I like a 57-57.5, but their size Large has a 58, I think I recall..So I went Medium.

I am real happy with both the Noah and the Damo. The Noah is very good in sprints..Outstanding, in fact. One feature I had my doubts about was the ISP..but I like it fine. Interesting is that the seat mast is triangular (and symetrical) in shape and you can reverse the seat head, thereby moving your saddle into a TT position, quite far forward..I've done a TT with my Noah's seat head reversed like that and with some real TT bars. It is almost as good as a dedicated TT frame.. The headtube is a little too tall to be a real TT frame, but if you only want one frame and yet you may do an occaisional TT or triathlon, that is a convenient and workable alternative..

The Damocles is a little more comfortable and easier on your butt on long long rides or on bumpy roads, but it still is quite stiff.

I had a Scott CR1..which rode a lot like the Excaliber my S.O. rides, but not nearly so smooth. Scott, BMC, etc.,the big tube frames all sound hollow and ride a bit rattley. The Excalliber has a hint of that feeling but just a hint..

The Damo feels more like my old Time VXR or a stiffer 585 Look..I ride the Damo (less expensive) for crits and the Noah in RRs, especially ones with sprint finishes expected If I again try the Everest Challenge, it will be the Damocles (for two days climbing all day ).....If I am going on a shorter mountain hammer fest...either one is good..I bet the Excaliber might climb a little better than either of it's more expensive brothers, but I can't get it away from my S.O. to try it..

All three are very good descenders, though the seatmast of the Noah can really give you a big hit at ~50mph with an unexpected bump, where the Damocles (I use a Ritchey WCS set-back carbon post) soaks up the rough stuff without any drama. Hands-off the bars at 45+mph happens with no hint of headshake...

Excellent bikes, the Ridleys. That CC deal is very good..
Don Hanson

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.