Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross-post from the wrench forum...I just took delivery of an '08 Ridley Excalibur (woohoo!) and ran across a stumbling block on assembly. The integrated headset bearing drops right in on the top, but with the bottom bearing, the tolerance is real tight--almost as if it's supposed to be pressed into the frame. Can anyone confirm that the bottom bearing is in fact supposed to be pressed in?

With every integrated headset I've installed before, the bearings just dropped right in. The Ridley headset is proprietary (tapered so it bigger at the fork crown), so assuming the install is different? I have a home-made headset press that I'm not sure is up for the job given the large size of the bearing (1 1/2 inch)...anyone have any experience assembling one of these?

THANKS!

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah, it's supposed to be tight. Don't use the headset press, as you may damage the bearing or the headtube.
Put the bearing on the fork and pop the fork into the headtube. You may need to tickle it with a rubber mallet, but it will pop in.
All three of my Ridley frames were like this...

If this worries you, take the bearing to Lowe's and get a piece of PVC pipe that's the same size size as the outer diameter of the bearing. Then cut a 2cm wide piece and use it in with the press.

Both ways work...

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reassurance. i think there was some clear coat overspray in the bearing seat. i lightly rubbed some steel wool over the surface and some clear coat flaked off. It created enough play that i was able to pop the bearing in with my fingers. It's still snug (in a good way) and no hammering necessary :)

That's a big bearing down there, btw...can't wait to get this thing built and see what kind of a difference it makes with the handling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.