Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an unused Ridley Helium frame from a local team. It was just a frame and fork. I was wondering how I go about cutting the seatmast. I believe the frames come with a cutting guide (which I did not receive). Any tips from others who have cut down their frames would be appreciated (other than measure several times, cut once.) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a Helium...here's what I did...
First thing, measure your current seat height...carefully!!!! Measure your cockpit (nose of saddle to center of bars where they pass through the stem)

1) Install your BB and cranks
2) Install the seat cap and your saddle
3) Measure the total distance from the center of the BB to the top of the saddle
4) Helium total distance MINUS your seat height MINUS whatever width spacer you are planning to run. You MUST run a spacer on the top, as a buffer between the carbon and the seat cap.
Example : Helium 85cm - your seat height 77cm - 5mm spacer = 8.5cm needs to be cut
5) Measure everything again...make sure your math is correct!
6) Since you don't have the cutting guide, you can do a couple of things to ensure you make a straight cut.
-wrap A LOT of tape around the seatmast OR go to the auto supply store and get some lead tape. It'll stick to the frame and it's thick enough to create a sort of guide for the blade.
7) Use a BRAND NEW hacksaw blade...fine tooth!
8) Say a small prayer to La Madonna di Ghisallo
9) Breath deep and cut it!

You have (or should have) some spacers should you need to adjust the fit.
PM me if you have any questions...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Try to find a local Ridley dealer and give them a shout. They might have one you can buy or just have them cut it .

I've never cut a seatmast without a guide....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. My two local Ridley dealers are Ridley dealers no more. The importer (Sinclair) is not even the importer anymore. I had a difficult enough time finding the proprietary headset and seatmast attachment, the cutting guide seemed to be pushing it. If anyone has one for sale or rental I would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I cut my Noah, and went 1/4" long. Each ride I would shorten the mast a bit more with a sanding block, until the backs of my thighs quit hurting :) I ended up about removing 1/4" that way, imagine that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the helpful advice. I believe the issue has been resolved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts