Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bill C
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a question for anyone out there who rides a Ridley CX bike. I built up a 2011 X-Fire frame and raced it this past season. Love the solid power transfer and quick acceleration, but never found the set-up to make it feel as good in sharp turns or when or going fast in technical sections as my older Fuji CX Pro. Specifically, the front wheel seems to wash out quicker (same wheels/tires) and it seems to be more twitchy in the rough stuff. The Ridley frame is a 58, same TT length as the Fuji, same head and seat tube angles, same stem/bar length, and I’ve got a lower-rise stem on it to keep the seat-to-bar drop about the same. The only variable between the two frames is the higher bottom bracket on the Ridley. Does the slightly higher center of gravity on the Ridley affect handling that much or does the X-Fire just need to be set-up (and ridden) a little differently? There are a lot of very fast people riding Ridleys so I assume that it’s a set-up or riding technique issue on my part.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went from a ridley super cross (higher bb than the x-fire) to a custom cross bike with a low bb (70 mm drop) and it made a huge difference in handling and stability. On the low bb bike I feel much more stable at higher speeds through the corners without the fear of washing out the front wheel, and it feels smoother and more stable through rough stuff. I think really good bike handlers make the most of ridleys, but for slobs like me the low bb helps a lot.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Yes there's a difference, but yhhhhhhhhhhhhaz78((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
I went from a Stevens with a lower BB to a Ridley X-Ride and there is a definite difference. The Stevens had a lower BB (by 6 mm), a longer wheelbase (by 10 mm), but I think the biggest difference was in the angles - the Stevens had a steeper seat tube but a slacker head tube. The Ridley feels "twitchier" at higher speeds on tarmac but again somehow I'm more confident on off-camber corners and in the mucky stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.