Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was on a 5 and a half hour ride and my right achilles is killing me now. Ive read that what cause achilles pain is having the toes pointed down too far on the pedal stroke... but wouldnt my left achilles hurt as well if I was doing that?

My cleats are both positioned the same on both shoes, saddle height seems fine, maybe the right leg where I have the pain is slightly longer or shorter? Any ideas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Erotomaniac said:
Yesterday I was on a 5 and a half hour ride and my right achilles is killing me now. Ive read that what cause achilles pain is having the toes pointed down too far on the pedal stroke... but wouldnt my left achilles hurt as well if I was doing that?

My cleats are both positioned the same on both shoes, saddle height seems fine, maybe the right leg where I have the pain is slightly longer or shorter? Any ideas?
No, your left achilles wouldn't necessarily hurt also. If you're right handed, your right leg is your power leg and you were probably pushing harder with it than with your left leg -- so the right achilles took on more stress than the left.

If you're not used to doing 5.5 hour rides, you may have just overdone it and it's simply an overuse injury. It could be caused also by pedal stroke or a muscle imbalance. I'm no PT, but I'd suggest you rest immediately and don't try to ride until the pain subsides. Seek treatment from a physical therapist if it doesn't get better or flares up again when you start riding again. Treat your injury with rest, ice and ibuprofen.

Happy healing...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts