Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5000 miles and three years, my right ergo is mushy. There is no discernable click from the lever or the thumb button. It still shifts fine. I'm thinking Branford rebuild parts.
Agree?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Springs or spring carrier

cvanwink said:
After 5000 miles and three years, my right ergo is mushy. There is no discernable click from the lever or the thumb button. It still shifts fine. I'm thinking Branford rebuild parts.
Agree?
It is probably the indexing springs, although sometimes the spring carrier breaks causing the same symptoms. In any case, it is the same procedure to replace both.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

for the input. I am looking into the parts now. I am finding that when Campy recommends
rebuilding parts "every 15 - 30000 miles or every three years" its every three years. I had the same issue with the right gear cable. Maybe I shift to much!
Chris

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's often just one g-spring that's fatigued, but it's probably better to replace both. You can see them in the pic below. It's those little black things near the center bearing of the shifter body.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
wow a shifter you can take apart and rebuild

That's a pic you'll never see on a Shimano board. had my record 9's rebuilt after 5 plus years. good as new now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
is that really true about shimano? i've only ever ridden campy and have always really enjoyed the online manuals...but you truly can't find any info on shimano parts or take the shifters apart?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts