Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pedestrians have the right of way at an intersection over vehicles/bicycles. And yes, sadly, bikes have to stop at stop signs, although I think there was some mention a while ago that certain states are proposing exceptions to that rule. You can't go wrong by stopping, though.

Brooks K.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
steel515 said:
If a cyclist and a pedestrian come to a stop at a stop sign at the same time (in US), who has the right of way?

Also we are required to stop at every stop sign, just like cars?
Each state is different, though I don't think any do not require bikes to stop at stop signs. The 'right of way' is probably the same as it is for cars. - TF

·
Registered
732 Posts
steel515 said:
If a cyclist and a pedestrian come to a stop at a stop sign at the same time (in US), who has the right of way?

Also we are required to stop at every stop sign, just like cars?

In most states, in the event of a tie to the intersection, you yield to the person on your right. If there is no person on your right, then you have right of way. Also, most places you must stop at all stop signs.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
The yield to the right only applys to vehicles, not pedestrians. Pedestrians almost always have the ROW, regardless of whether they are on your right or left, especially at intersections and crosswalks where they are supposed to cross streets. There are exceptions, like jaywalking, but even those instances are not a slam dunk in favor of the vehicle.

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
I just stop and ride around the pedestrian regardless of where they are. From what I've seen in Illinois it seems pedestrians don't have too much right of way with the exception of walk signs at intersections.

·
Banned
657 Posts
Pedestrian has right of way. Between a car & bike: person to the right goes 1st. Head to head, eye contact the driver of the car & wave him or acknowledge him waving you to go.
So, like if you know the legal rules, what says a driver does? In a crash, a cyclist will alway pay in bodily damage. Play it as you see it w/ common sense.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
venus said:
Pedestrian has right of way. Between a car & bike: person to the right goes 1st. Head to head, eye contact the driver of the car & wave him or acknowledge him waving you to go.
So, like if you know the legal rules, what says a driver does? In a crash, a cyclist will alway pay in bodily damage. Play it as you see it w/ common sense.
Are you saying that Illinois law says that a pedestrian at an intersection has the right-of-way over a vehicle? - TF

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Its easy: yes, bikes have to stop at stop signs unless legislation has been enacted otherwise.

The person in the biggest hurry goes first.

I'll get people waving me thru (in cages) when riding when in theory they have the ROW. Its nice to meet people who don't have their panties in a wad!

M

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Always yield to pedestrians. You don't want to accidently hit one and scratch your bike's paint!

·
Banned
657 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Are you saying that Illinois law says that a pedestrian at an intersection has the right-of-way over a vehicle? - TF
In Illinois is there no common sense? Feel free to run them down if you like. Perhaps you need the hood on your car repainted?

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
In Illinois, and in every state, at any time. Didn't you read the DMV manual you got back in Driver's Ed class in high school?

Short answer-any time you hit a pedestrian with any vehicle, on any road (provided that they didn't just jump out from behind a blind corner), be it a bike or a car, it is your fault because the pedestrian has the right of way at all times.

Sometimes the ignorance of motorists amazes me. Hearing it from a cyclist, though........

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
In Illinois, and in every state, at any time. Didn't you read the DMV manual you got back in Driver's Ed class in high school?

Short answer-any time you hit a pedestrian with any vehicle, on any road (provided that they didn't just jump out from behind a blind corner), be it a bike or a car, it is your fault because the pedestrian has the right of way at all times.

Sometimes the ignorance of motorists amazes me. Hearing it from a cyclist, though........
Your blowin' walnuts out your a$$ again. Illinois code:

"Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway."

TF

·
I don't exist
2,036 Posts
Stolher is correct

TurboTurtle said:
Your blowin' walnuts out your a$$ again. Illinois code:

"Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway."

TF
...at other than an intersection...which is where a ped will legally cross...

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
A pedestrian will always win a lawsuit. Don't hit them - you'll pay.

Personally, I'm tired of cyclists that treat traffic signs/signals like they don't exist. It creates a bad image for all of us. I'm never surprised when motorists get pissed at me just for being there these days. Too many iPod wearin', stop sign/light blowin', idiots on the roads these days. Nevermind the club riders in full kits that act like morons - don't even get me started. You know who you are (and I'm talking about Mpls/St Paul clubs)...and I don't care if I get flamed 'til next week on this. I see it EVERY time I ride. I'm tired of being abused for others' ignorance and stupidity. Expecting everyone to stay out of your way is just plain SELFISH.

Traffic signals apply to YOU if you want to be treated as an equal on the road. Don't ***** after you've blown through 10 stop signs/lights and then someone has "the testicular fortitude" to tell you to "get your ass on the sidewalk/bike path, etc.". You expect them to obey the laws - maybe you should gve it some thought too. Stopping doesn't kill you.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
axebiker said:
A pedestrian will always win a lawsuit. Don't hit them - you'll pay.

Personally, I'm tired of cyclists that treat traffic signs/signals like they don't exist. It creates a bad image for all of us. I'm never surprised when motorists get pissed at me just for being there these days. Too many iPod wearin', stop sign/light blowin', idiots on the roads these days. Nevermind the club riders in full kits that act like morons - don't even get me started. You know who you are (and I'm talking about Mpls/St Paul clubs)...and I don't care if I get flamed 'til next week on this. I see it EVERY time I ride. I'm tired of being abused for others' ignorance and stupidity. Expecting everyone to stay out of your way is just plain SELFISH.

Traffic signals apply to YOU if you want to be treated as an equal on the road. Don't ***** after you've blown through 10 stop signs/lights and then someone has "the testicular fortitude" to tell you to "get your ass on the sidewalk/bike path, etc.". You expect them to obey the laws - maybe you should gve it some thought too. Stopping doesn't kill you.
Excellent post. What happens when you run a red light or stop sign and a car that had the right of way slams into you? Do you legally have a leg to stand on when you were the one who disobeyed the law? Just yesterday I rode with 2 other guys; 1 of whom I've ridden with numerous times while the other I'd ridden with once before. We approached a red light at the end of the ride where several cars were stopped behind us, but nothing was coming from the directions that had the green light. The guy who I'd ridden with once asked, "so you guys stop at red lights?" WTF? It was embarrassing for us to have to give him reasons for why we choose to stop at red lights.

The bottom line is if you want respect from motorists, you best follow the rules of the road; especially when in the presence of motorists. If you choose to disobey the traffic laws, then I'm not going to cry if you are killed or seriously injured as a direct result of your behavior.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.