Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding and can not get my right quad to quit burning? It is not bad but enough. The left is fine? I have adjusted the seat several times and messed with the cages on the pedals? Anyone else have this problem?:cryin:

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Burning

davebr said:
I have been riding and can not get my right quad to quit burning? It is not bad but enough. The left is fine? I have adjusted the seat several times and messed with the cages on the pedals? Anyone else have this problem?
Two things: 1) you're probably riding in too big a gear and 2) you (like the rest of us) are not applying the same force with both legs. Work on increasing your cadence and developing a smooth pedaling style.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Pedal with BIG CIRCLES with Both Legs. You are probably pedalling with your right leg and letting your left leg just take a ride.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Two things: 1) you're probably riding in too big a gear and 2) you (like the rest of us) are not applying the same force with both legs. Work on increasing your cadence and developing a smooth pedaling style.
+1. Also, you don't provide a history of how long you've been road riding or how long you've experienced the discomfort, but considering you've made adjustments to the saddle and cleat positions, you might want to consider a fitting. Even if you've had one, with those changes you may have complicated your issue and a fitting might get you back to a good (or at least, better) starting point.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Could be a leg length discrepancy as well. Right leg could be longer which would then make it cramp up compared to the left.

My right is shorter so I have to wear a shim in my right shoe or guess what, left quad starts burning

Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. As far as the big gear goes, I try to ride in the gear that gives me a little resistance. Seems when I back down to a smaller gear the pedals get ahead of my feet. I try to pedal big circles but do feel a sort of chop when pedaling. I ride a 57cm? Raleigh Record Ace with two sprockets on the front. Rarely do I get to the big one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts