Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a "right" (or wrong) mfg's stem to use with carbon bars?

Eg: One certainly doesn't want the carbon to be scored by the stem clamp.

So I wondered if it's better to use some mfg's stems for carbon bars.
And if any stems should be avoided.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I couldn't give you any specific brands/models off the top of my head, but generally if you avoid sharp-edged CNC machined clamping surfaces and install carefully you won't get any scratching or damage to the carbon (just remember to check the faceplate bolts' torque, you don't want to overdo it, but you want it to hold).

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Stem treatment

tubafreak said:
I couldn't give you any specific brands/models off the top of my head, but generally if you avoid sharp-edged CNC machined clamping surfaces and install carefully you won't get any scratching or damage to the carbon (just remember to check the faceplate bolts' torque, you don't want to overdo it, but you want it to hold).
Also, you can dress the sharp edges of a stem clamp, both for the bars and the steerer tube. This is a good practice if you have concerns about the stem cutting into the bars or steerer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where to find tourque specs?

tubafreak said:
Thanks.

I've looked but can't find any torque specs.

fwiw I am using the Modolo KX-Carbon Curvissima bars

anybody have this data?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.