Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I missed this topic somewhere please redirect me.
I have been reading about the Hed Ardennes wheelset and the wider rim makes sense to me. Using a 23mm tire on a 23mm rim. Wider profile, less rolling resistance,ok.
If this is true, couldn't you use a 21mm tire on a 21mm rim and get the same results?
This is the reason I ask.
I want a set of tubular wheels real bad. I found a set that has a 19mm width rim and one that has a 21mm width rim. Should I choose a corresponding width tire for the least rolling resistance? Or does it make any difference on a tubular?
Is this a stupid question?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Larger tires will have a lower Crr, all else being equal. Matching the tire width to the rim improves aerodynamics if the rim is aero... not the the Crr. Your 21mm tire on a 21mm rim would tend to be more aero than 23 on 23... but it will have higher Crr. 23 on 21 will have just as good of a Crr as 23 on 23... but the aero resistance will be a little higher. The idea behind the wider rim is that it is optimized for both aero and Crr... provided that you want to use a wide tire. If you are doing TTs on smooth roads a narrower rim and tire might be slightly faster overall.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I may get flamed for this, but I see the point behind Hed's marketing. I have a set of wheels that I used for crits for several years. The rims were Mavic MA40's and I usually ran Vredenstein Tricomps. The profile of the time mounted on a MA40 is different than the same tire on an Open Pro because of rim width. On a MA40, it is rounder since they beads are further apart. I liked the way it felt in a corner, more like a tubular.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigbill said:
I may get flamed for this, but I see the point behind Hed's marketing. I have a set of wheels that I used for crits for several years. The rims were Mavic MA40's and I usually ran Vredenstein Tricomps. The profile of the time mounted on a MA40 is different than the same tire on an Open Pro because of rim width. On a MA40, it is rounder since they beads are further apart. I liked the way it felt in a corner, more like a tubular.
As I stated before, I too understand Hed's idea about the wider rim. Would the same hold true on a tubular rim and tire???????

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Details, details

arinowner said:
As I stated before, I too understand Hed's idea about the wider rim. Would the same hold true on a tubular rim and tire???????
Before deep section aero rims, the measured wind tunnel data showed that the rim should be slightly narrower than the tire for lowest aero drag. That is still true if you don't have an aero rim. With an aero rim, matching widths is better, though the amount of difference is EXTREMELY small and would only be meaningful at the very highest levels of competition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.